TWENTY FIVE

Maverick's heart pounded as he ran through the forest. 

Snow fell gracefully, and if he wasn't in the midst of enemy territory, he might have stopped to enjoy the view. 

It reminded him of you, perfect environment for his little Wolf to thrive.

The sight of Rooster on the floor, shoving his parachute back into its bag snapped him back to reality, though. 

His breathing was laboured, but the adrenaline and worry fuelled him forward.

"You alright?" he yelled as he entered the clearing.

"Yeah, I'm good," Rooster replied almost nonchalantly, "You alri-"

Before he could finish, Maverick had reached him, and shoved him to the ground rather forcefully. 

Angrily, both men removed their helmets, throwing them to the ground.

"What the hell?" Rooster remarked as he got back on his feet.

"What are you doing here?" Maverick yelled. 

"What am I doing here?" Rooster repeated.

"You think I took that missile so you could be down here with me? You should be back on the carrier by now! With (Y/N)!"

"I saved your life!" Rooster yelled back.

He couldn't believe this, ungrateful motherfu-

"I saved your life, that's the whole point!" Maverick lowered his volume, breathless, "What the hell were you even thinking?"

"You told me not to think!" Rooster answered matter-of-factly. 

Maverick stared at him then, no words coming. 

Rooster wasn't wrong, he did tell him that. 

They continued to look at each other, Rooster flapping his arms in disbelief, both out of breath. Maverick leaned down on his knees, regaining some composure.

"That's the second time that's been used against me." Maverick said.

"You taught us too well, I guess."

"Well, it's good to see you." he said, and Rooster let out an amused breath through his nose.

"It's good to see you too." he nodded his head, "So what's the plan?"

The two men lay flat in the snow, observing the destroyed runway below them. 

Alarms blared, and the yells of men hurrying over the tarmac echoed all over the mountains surrounding them. 

Maverick surveyed the runway with his small binocular, as Rooster turned to him, an expression that had concern mixed with pure fear.

"You're not serious." he questioned. Instead of answering him, Maverick handed him his binocular, "You've gotta be shitting me. An F-14?"

"Hey! I shot down three MiGs in one of those."

"We don't even know if that bag of ass can fly."

Maverick cocked his head, moving his eyebrow as he looked around. 

That was true, they didn't know. 

"Well, let's find out!"

"Mav!" Rooster called out to him, "Okay." he squeezed out, following him. 

When he caught up, he slipped a little, causing him to grab onto Maverick's shoulder.

"Jesus, Rooster, you're almost as clumsy as (Y/N)."