FOURTEEN

Phoenix and Halo got you home, and immediately started on trying to forget the days events. 

Hangman still hadn't contacted you, and you'd left Rooster in the locker room without another word. 

There was a little bruising around your scar from your fall, the skin still sensitive there despite the wound being fully healed. 

Training was making things more tense for everyone, and that was destroying the team that you and Maverick had worked so hard to build.

But tonight was about forgetting all of that, and Halo and Phoenix were doing a fine job. 

Not. 

Halo was already tipsy, having made the margaritas a little too strong, and she couldn't help but bring up boys, making you and Phoenix groan. You were all currently watching The Notebook, crying into your alcoholic beverages.

"Why can't we all find men like that?" Halo said, sniffing.

"Because they don't exist, Cal." you replied, laughing a little.

"They do too!"

"Oh yeah? Where?" Phoenix quipped, now bemused by this conversation. Halo looked between you and Phoenix and groaned, not having an answer, which sent the three of you into fits of tipsy giggles.

This led the conversation onto crushes, which made you grimace. 

Thankfully, the conversation did not start on you. 

First you heard all about Halo and her fling with some bartender when she was based out in Thailand before she was called back to Miramar. She told all about how he'd promised to wait for her and she thought it was oh-so-romantic. 

You smiled, because the look she had on her face as she spoke about this man warmed you.

Next under the microscope was Phoenix, who was immediately unsettled by the attention on her. 

She wasn't one to share her feelings about boys, but you saw the way she was with Fanboy.

"C'mon, Tash, I watch you two together all the time and you're adorable. He totally likes you too." you said, sipping your cocktail.

"What about you and Rooster?" she challenged, and you choked on your drink.

"W-what? What about me and Rooster?"

"Oh please, (Y/N), there's totally something there! It was so cute how you two fell asleep all cuddled up at movie night." Halo said, snuggling up to you, and you shoved her away playfully.

"I've known him since I was born, we were raised together..." you trailed off, and the two women looked at you as they listened intently, "And I've had a thing for him since I was 14."

They cheered at this revelation, and you blushed as red as a tomato. 

Yet, you felt a little sense of relief, having finally admitted that your feelings hadn't gone away.

"I think he was gonna kiss me at movie night." You reeled, and your two companions whipped their heads around to look at you.

"What?" they both shrieked, tossing their drinks aside and clambering over to sit with you. 

"What? H-how...tell us everything!"

In your blushing state, you told them about your conversation with Rooster, how he'd said he'd not settled down, and how no relationship he had could have ever compared to the one he threw away when he left you. 

How he tucked a piece of your hair behind your ear, his fingers lingering on your cheek. 

How he probably would have kissed you had the microwave not pinged.