SEVENTEEN

Phoenix came to training on an absolute high after her date with Fanboy, which she had described to you in excruciating detail the night before. 

You didn't mind though, seeing her finally happy with someone like Mickey Garcia was a god-send in training. They'd started being a little more obvious about their interest, and you thought it was sweet.

You, on the other hand, were feeling like a nervous wreck. 

You were flying the training today, not that anyone knew. Now that the pilots had improved their flight of the course, it was time to move on to miracle #2, and Maverick decided to up the pressure, meaning you'd be in the air. 

You'd flown training before, but something about it being this mission, your father being here, it made you anxious. 

But the minute you got in the air, all of that melted away, and you were reminded of how much you loved flying.

Back in the trophy room, the others sat listening to Coyote, Phoenix, and Bob, who were on their second run of the course for that day. 

Rooster noticed you weren't there, and his questioning of it was met with shrugs. He didn't like not knowing where you were, and the feeling of dread washed over him. He soon got his answer though, as your voice sounded across the radio.

"Wolf to Maverick, I am inbound for the target." your voice said once you'd taken off, zooming past the building at high speed.

"The fuck was that?" one of the pilots said, running to the window to watch.

"That, was Wolf." Hangman said, smiling. He knew what it meant to you to be in the air again.

Rooster relaxed a little now that he knew where you were, but he couldn't shake the feeling of dread that he had. Something wasn't right. Meanwhile, the blue team were struggling, being behind on their route.

"Huh? Wait, who's that?" Bob said, the radar beeping.

"Blue team, you've been spotted." Maverick said.

"Shit, it's Maverick!"

"He isn't alone."

"Good afternoon, blue team, the Wolf is out huntin'." you teased, approaching them quickly. 

Your voice made those in the trophy room smile, all of them eager to see you in action.

"Fuck! We're totally screwed if she's up here!" Coyote said with a laugh.

"We're bandits on course to intercept, Blue team, what are you gonna do?"

They decided to stay on target, and sharing a look, you and Maverick pushed your speed to increase, closing in on the team quickly, you were the faster flyer, of course.

"Talk to me Bob! Where are they?" Coyote spoke.

"Five miles out and coming fast! Wolf is closing in!"

Bob yelled as the laser didn't work, causing Coyote to have to drop blind, and inevitably he missed. 

The team then thrust upwards into coffin corner just as you and Maverick had caught up to them. You captured missile lock on Phoenix easily, eliminating her from the trial.

"That's tone, Phoenix, you're out." you said as your missile locked on her.

"Shit! We're dead." she said, breaking off course and levelling out as you arrived next to her in the air, "I forgot how much I hated being in the air with you." she laughed, making you do the same.