FIVE

Maverick explained the rest of the mission to the pilots, and the first day of training began - dogfighting 101, Maverick's specialty. 

First in the air with him was Phoenix, Bob and Hangman. 

The rest waited in the trophy room, listening intently to the radio as you sat making notes of the flight styles, patterns, and any mistakes made by your comrades.

"You could have told me he was here, (Y/N)." A voice sounded. 

You looked up from your papers and came face to face with Rooster, and annoyance set in almost immediately. 

He had yet to speak to you since the Hard Deck, and this was the first thing he wanted to say?

"Excuse me?"

"Maverick. You could have warned me he was here." 

Unbelievable. 

You turned on your stool to face him properly.

"For your information, Lieutenant Bradshaw, I found out five minutes before you did. Also, I don't owe you a single thing."

"You know I can't work with him here, Mitchell."

"That's not really my problem. You're both here on orders, you have to be professional."

"Professional? Are you joking?" he says with a laugh.

"You're unbelievable." you spat bitterly, and gathered up your papers, standing up and starting to move to your satchel, which was sat on the couch a few meters away. 

So much for wanting your friendship back. 

Well fuck you, Bradley Bradshaw.

"Don't walk away from me, (Y/N)." Rooster whispered placing a firm hand on your bicep, but you scowled, and yanked your arm from his grip. 

"I'm not, Bradley. That's you, remember? You're the one that walked away."

"That's not what I'm trying to do-"

"Just stop..." you breathed, "I honestly thought you'd have grown up a little by now, that maybe you'd be able to think of someone other than yourself in a situation that concerns three of us." 

Rooster stood looking at you, a complete loss for words. 

He'd never been called selfish in his life. 

And coming from you, well that stung like hell.

"If you don't mind, Rooster, I have a job to do. And so do you. Take Fanboy and Payback and ready up. You're next." you said quietly, turning and going back to your bag before returning with new files, pushing him slightly out of your way as you passed him again.

Bradley watched you, and the way you avoided meeting his gaze cut deeper than any knife could. 

He cursed himself internally, he shouldn't have said anything. 

Despite wanting nothing more than to approach you again and beg forgiveness, he decided to go with his better judgement, following your orders without complaint.

The rest of the day ran smoothly. 

Well, as smooth as it could go with Maverick showing up each and every one of them. 

Payback made a deal on behalf of everyone else; 200 push ups. So far, Maverick hadn't had to do a single one. 

You ignored Rooster for the rest of the day.