Chapter 5

The next few weeks are strangely peaceful. You'd gotten into a routine with Alexander. It's possible that with each day he's beginning to trust you more. Nick stops by every once in a while to keep an eye on Alexander. 

A few times you'd caught Alexander doing exercises, even though you advised against it. For someone so used to following orders, he really didn't listen. Before you know it a month rolls around. That afternoon when you return, Alexander is packing a bag. You're positive he hadn't noticed you came in, because he's heading towards the back door. You flick the light on, and he stops in his tracks.

"Leaving without saying goodbye."

You fold your arms. He turns to you with a smile.

"I did not think you would be so worried. I've been quite a handful haven't I?"

You shrug.

"Of course you were. Don't think I did this for free either. You owe me."

There's a little change in his eyes, and he lowers the bag onto the ground, stepping over to you.

"How can I possibly hope to repay you for all you've done?" It's somewhat of a whisper.

Maybe you're reading too much into it, but his look is a bit disarming.

"I was kidding, you know. You don't owe me anything. Just don't get yourself killed."

It seems like he wants to say something, but he doesn't. He just nods at you.

"I'll do my best."

It's not much of a promise.

"Guess I'll see you around."

"For both of our sakes, I hope not." He states. You let out a laugh.

"You're right." He's turning back to grab his luggage.

"Thank you, truly. " You brush it off.

"Don't go getting all soft on me."

His back is still facing you, and some part of you feels a bit lost. It'll be weird coming home and not seeing him here. He opens the door, and just like that he's gone. You heave out a breath.

"Please be safe."

It's all you can think of.