Part twenty two

Word count (1737)

Y/n pov:

Gilbert am I were walking home from school. The whole time, I couldn't stop thinking about college. About how me and Gilbert might not go to the same one.

It was almost as if he knew what I was thinking because he grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

"I think Queens college is an excellent choice y/n. Everyone in our class is thinking about going there."

"Just not you."

He lightly bumped my shoulder with his, "it'll be alright. We can write to each other. Maybe I'll visit during holidays. We'll make it work."

I nodded my head. "You're right. I liked sending you letters."

We continued on our walk till we found Bash poking around in Mary's garden.

"So many months of snow and frost... I almost forgot what the very earth below me looks like."

Gilbert stepped into the little garden. "Mary sure brought this garden to life."

"Don't get your hopes up. I don't think I have her green thumb. Mary brought everything to life."

Gilbert made his way towards Bash and I followed behind him.

"I was thinking. It'd be nice if people knew more about her. I'd like to write an obituary for Mary in the Gazette. She should have her legacy honored. I was talking with Anne and she felt. It would be something for Delly to hold onto."

Bash slowly stood up straight, his eyes not leaving Gilbert. It made me nervous. Then he looked away from us, taking in a deep breath.

A small smile formed on his lips as he looked back over to us. He nodded his head at Gilbert and we both smiled back before turning away to go to his house.

"I think we should start writing it tonight, the obituary."

I looked up at Gilbert as we stepped inside. "That sounds great, maybe after dinner when Delly's put to bed."

Both of us spent the rest of the evening making dinner together. This had become a regular thing and I loved it. Delly laid in her crib, playing with a doll. Bash was working outside, and me and Gilbert prepared dinner.

My aunt Esme doesn't even ask me where I had been anymore because every time I would say Gilbert's.

Dinner was pretty quiet for the most part, except for when Delly made her little noises.

I was washing the plates when Gilbert and Bash sat down at the table to write the obituary, and a letter to Bash's mother. Delphine was fast asleep.

"I dunno. I doubt my mum will come."

"Want me to take a look? And, uh... you should see how you feel about this."

I sat down next to Gilbert.

They both exchanged papers. I looked at Bash's letter as Gilbert pulled it into view.

Then my eyes went over to Bash, he was reading the letter intently. His brows furrowed as he read down the page.

His eyes were full of tears when he looked at Gilbert. Then he placed his hand over his, a few tears forming in my own eyes.

Gilbert placed his hand over Bash's and I put mine over his.

The air around us felt thicker as we had our sweet moment. I could feel Mary was here, her warm arms hugging all of us.

~

Today was now tomorrow, and that meant practicing for the dance with Mrs. Lynde. Just like last year.