Part twenty three

Word count (1557)

Y/n pov:

I decided I would go to Anne's house after helping my aunt with a few things.

"Y/n dear, here are some scones George made this morning. Maybe you can bring these over to the Cuthberts?"

"Thank you auntie."

As I walked toward Anne's house, I spotted Diana heading to the barn. That's strange.

I ran up to her, "Diana!"

She whipped around and hid the book she had behind her back.

"Y/n! You startled me!"

"Is everything okay? You can talk to me, you know."

Diana stared at me for a moment before slowly bringing the book back around.

"Well. Me and Jerry have been exchanging books back and forth for a little while now. I think I may like him too. This one though is for Anne." It was a book on Scotland.

A huge smile spread across my face. "Diana! That's amazing!"

She smiled back at me, "do not tell anyone though. I don't want people to find out."

I nodded my head. "Your secret is safe with me."

We both went to the barn together, no Jerry or Anne.

I saw Diana pull a small handkerchief out of her pocket and place it in one of the posts in the barn which made me smile.

"She must be in the house," I said to Diana.

"You're probably right, let's go."

As we made our way to the house, Anne ran out the door and hugged Diana. Then she gave me an awkward quick hug.

Diana handed her the book. And I gave Anne the basket of scones.

"Oh... oh it's beautiful. Thank you! And uh, thank you y/n."

"I hope you find whatever your heart desires in its pages."

"I'm sure I will. Look at this. Uh... Aberdeen, Isle of Skye!"

We all giggled.

"Allô, Diana."

Jerry had walked up to us as Anne read.

Diana looked nervous and made a quick glance. "Jerry."

"Uh, how are you today?"

"Fine, thank you."

Me and Anne glanced at each other. She shrugged her shoulders, and looked away quickly after that.

"How long can I keep this for?"

"What... what book is that?"

Jerry stepped forward to get a better look."

"Uh, sorry, would you excuse us?" Diana said a little sharply.

"Oh. Of-of-of course. Désole."

Jerry turned and walked away, a little glumly, and I looked over at Diana.

She looked a little sad for a moment.

"I think you may have made quite the impression when you stayed for supper." Anne remarked.

Diana scoffed lightly, but she smiled after, "you can keep it as long as you like.

After Diana left, I spoke up. "Thank you, for coming up with the idea for the obituary. Bash and Gilbert wrote one the other day for Mary. I think you'll love it.