☾hapter XXXIX

The next day, we rode to the training camp where Keith Shadis was currently stationed.

This camp happened to be the same one where we had trained for several years, the place we had left just a few months ago. It felt strange to return, like it had been fifteen years, but in reality, it was only around five months at most.

" You didn't know ? Training Corps Instructor Shadis was the 12th Commander of the Survey Corps, just before Erwin. It's been a while since we've seen him, too". Hange mentioned.

Kenny, looking rather disinterested in their conversation, gave Hange a bored glance. I chuckled nervously at his expression, recognizing the family resemblance he shared with Levi.

Levi gestured to me, reminding me to focus on the road. I winked at him playfully, causing him to avert his gaze.

Returning my attention to the path ahead, I couldn't help but think about Shadis. I remembered him well, not just because he had been our trainer.

I already knew he had been the 12th Commander of the Survey Corps. I recalled the time in Shiganshina when he presented the remains of a fallen soldier to the soldier's mother. He had cried and claimed that his actions had been in vain, severely damaging the Survey Corps' reputation in my eyes.

Upon our arrival, Eren helped me dismount from my horse. Since yesterday, they had been keeping a close watch on me, fearing a repeat of what had happened before. I inwardly sighed at their vigilance.

I expressed my gratitude to Eren before we approached Keith, who was observing some soldiers during their training exercises. The sight brought back memories.

" Instructor Shadis". Eren greeted.

Keith turned to look at us, and Eren and I promptly saluted him.

He glanced at Hange, Levi, Kenny, and me in succession, letting out a sigh before nodding for us to join him.

Jean, Kenny, Armin, Mikasa, Eren, Hange, Levi, and I took our seats. Shadis kindly offered us tea. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Sasha still standing in the room's corner.

" What's the matter ? Not planning to sit down, Braus ?". Shadis asked her.

" No ! I'm perfectly fine right here !". Sasha exclaimed nervously.

I suppressed my laughter, feeling sorry for Sasha as she still appeared traumatized by Shadis

I noticed Armin and Jean exchanging nervous glances. It was true that the room had grown stifling due to the tension, particularly emanating from Sasha.

" Yes, I suppose that in the past, I used to summon you here to give you a hard time... Only a few months have passed, but you've all changed so much that I can hardly recognize you". Shadis remarked, gazing at all of us.

Kenny, on the other hand, lowered his hat, likely intending to catch some sleep. I nudged him to wake him up, earning an annoyed look from him. I flashed an innocent smile before returning my attention to Shadis.