☾hapter XVI

When I opened my eyes, I thought I was either inside the Titan's mouth or dead. However, to my surprise, I found Jean asleep in a chair beside my bed. I reached out and gently squeezed Jean's hand, which roused him from his slumber.

" You're awake !". Jean exclaimed, his face lighting up with a broad smile.

" Hey... What happened ?". I inquired, my voice weak.

" The Female Titan attacked you. You have two broken ribs that have affected your right lung, but the doctor said you're going to be okay". Jean explained calmly.

I sighed in relief, though the reality of the situation sank in," I see... So, I guess the plan failed ?".

Jean nodded solemnly," They're demanding Eren in the capital, probably to hand him over to the Military Police".

" What ?!". I exclaimed, attempting to sit up, but searing pain shot through my body, forcing me back onto the bed.

" Calm down". Jean urged, assisting me back into a comfortable position." The doctor said you need to take it easy".

" But Commander Erwin must have a plan, right ?". I asked hopefully.

Jean's response was somewhat vague," He probably does".

I would have preferred a more reassuring answer, but I knew we had to work with what we had.

" How long have you been here ?". I inquired.

Jean blushed slightly before responding," About thirty minutes. Armin and I had to drag Mikasa and Eren out of your room. Eren didn't want to leave, or even eat".

I frowned. It wasn't right for them to put their lives on hold or go on a hunger strike because of my injuries.

" Thank you, Jean, for staying with me and especially for getting Mikasa and Eren out of that room. They needed to eat, especially after the expedition we just had". I said gratefully.

He smiled and nodded, his gaze sincere," It's only natural, Anelise. You're one of the people I care most about, and Marco was too". He sighed sadly, mentioning Marco's name.

I took his hand and reassured him," He'll always be with us".

Jean gently stroked my hand, saying nothing.

" Can you fetch Captain Levi and Commander Erwin ? I need to speak with them urgently". I requested.

I knew the Female Titan's identity, and I had no intention of letting this go. My suspicions from the beginning were correct; Reiner and Bertholdt were undoubtedly her partners.

Jean nodded in surprise before rising and heading to get them. As I lay there, I sighed, my gaze shifting to the ceiling, my mind haunted by the memory of Petra and Oluo's lifeless bodies. I had wanted so desperately to save them.

But my thoughts were interrupted as Captain Levi and Commander Erwin entered my room.

" Good to see you awake, Pierce". Erwin greeted me with a warm smile.

Levi added," You slept the entire day when we returned from the expedition, brat".

" Captain, how are Eld and Gunther ?". I inquired anxiously.

" Thanks to you, Gunther and Eld are alive. Eld's legs are injured, but he's going to make it". Levi reassured me, offering a faint smile.

I let out a heavy sigh and lowered my gaze to my hands," I'm sorry, Captain".

Both Levi and Erwin looked at me with surprise. I clutched the necklace that Petra and I had engraved, intertwined with my father's necklace. Petra... I would always carry a piece of her with me, but the pain of her loss remained.