Chapter 17

Heidi and I didn't bother to leave the foyer, as we quickly heard a commotion outside that only got louder as my parents and their associates stomped back to the front door. Heidi waited for them to knock, well they pounded really, and then answered the door immediately. "Welcome back!"

               "What are you playing at?" my mother snarked at me.

               "Mother, I don't have the time or patience to deal with you today," I groaned. "As I said, I just got out of the hospital, and I am still recovering. If you need to see me, then come on in. If you want something besides pizza, then order it. But the pizza will be here shortly, and there is a good chance that whatever business you have with me will be concluded by then." I was over this visit. I had stopped having feelings for my parents years ago, so this was more like a door to door salesman visit than loving parents coming to check up on me.

               They all stood by the front door in confusion, obviously waiting on my mother to make a decision on what to do. With a frustrated sigh, she finally strutted back into the house, as though that had been her original plan all along. The funny thing is, I can't even remember the last time she was here. When she flew in for my grandmother's funeral, she had spent one night at a downtown hotel with my dad, and then flew right back home. Business couldn't wait on grieving.

               Luckily though, the living room was easy to spot, and she found a seat in one of the comfy chairs there. My father sat near her, and then the four strangers took up spots on the two love seats. Heidi and I chose to stand, that way it would be easier for me to walk out if I needed to.

Funnily enough, this room was never used. It had been decorated by my aunt while she was staying here, and Heidi and I hated it. But we never knew what to do with the space, so it just sat there. We would much rather be outside on one of the decks or in the pool, though we spent a good amount of time on the second floor in the billiard room and the family room with the TV as well.

"What brings you back to the mainland?" I asked my parents, hoping to get this over with as fast as possible. If we were lucky, the pizza would be late, and they would be gone so Heidi and I could have a bunch of leftovers!

My mother plastered on a smile that was designed to woo new investors, and then gave me her sales pitch. "Well, this is exciting! Now that you're 18, we thought it would be time for you to settle down. Your father and I have such a wonderful marriage, that we wanted to give you that choice too. But, and this is the best part, you get to choose between these two lovely brothers."

"No." I said in a flat voice. "I'm not marrying either of them. If that was all this visit was about, I think we're done here. I can't believe you thought I'd be receptive to that at all. I have had three phone calls from you in the last four years. And then you show up in my home and try to pawn me off like this? Hell no. Telling me that you and dad have a wonderful marriage is a joke, because there isn't even a little bit of love, and I want a marriage with a lot of love."

"Oh, no, you misunderstand," she growled, "You will marry one of these boys. They're part of the Hilton family! Paris is their cousin!" My mother stood up as if to emphasize her position.

"No mother, you don't understand. I don't care who they are. I don't care what the reason is. You can plan all the damned weddings you like but I'll never say I do to a man. I'm a lesbian, I like girls. If you were in my life even a little bit, you'd know that. Neither of these guys would ever appeal to me in the least. Not to mention, I'm not getting married at 18, just so you can get a few extra hotels!" I told her. Not true, I'd marry Syd tomorrow if she asked and be dancing happily down the aisle to meet her. But there would be no hotels involved.