Chapter 30

Rose lay back on her bed, staring at the ceiling and trying to think about what to do with the wreckage of her life. Graduation was supposed to be the end of her old life, and the beginning of her new one. In that respect, it was exactly what it should be. But instead of a future at college and then going off to live her life, she was looking at the very real proposition of spending time in prison as a future instead.

And she knew that she deserved it.

The graduation ceremony had been boring, but they always are until the end when everyone is finally relieved that it's all over and tosses their caps in the air. Rose just dropped hers on the ground, glad to be rid of it and happy that her high school career was over. One more party, and then she could be free from the so-called friends she had let herself spend so much time with while in school. This summer would be about starting over mentally and emotionally too.

Maybe she could finally go back to using her preferred name too. When she'd been born, her mom had been out of it. It had been a tough birth, and they'd had to take emergency precautions with her because her blood pressure dropped dangerously low and she was out for a few hours afterwards. She'd lost a lot of blood, and it had been touch and go for a while. But, while she'd recovered, that meant that Rose's dad Ryker told the nurse what her name was supposed to be, and he gave her the one he wanted, not the one her mom had wanted. Ryker thought it would be cool to take the first two letters of his name and the last two of her mom's and make a name from it. Ryley hated it, as did her mom.

And thus, Ryley Rose Roth was born instead of Rose Marie Slater. Her mom had tried to change it several times afterwards, but Ryker and his parents refused to permit it, always meeting her in court to object, and making it a useless endeavor. Trying to get kids and teachers in school to call her Rose like her mom did was pointless, because the school would always refer to her by her legal name, and it just confused everyone. So, at school and to the people there, she was always Ryley, but her family always called her Rose.

She'd enjoyed the post-graduation dinner with the family. Aunt Alex and her mom had been so proud of her, and Jude liked going to the Kobe steakhouse so much he was almost screaming with excitement. The meal had been nice, and the chef entertaining, and then her mom dropped her off at Larissa's house, where she met up with her and Cindy for the graduation party. They'd be hitting the party and then coming back to crash for the night. The party was at Lyle's house, and Larissa would be assuming her role as the cohost, since she was convinced that she and Lyle were as good as married. She never seemed to mind that Cindy had paid for his services in helping out with Nai'a several times, because Larissa didn't do blowjobs.

I guess that was true love these days.

The party sucked. Rose had known it would, but the level of sucking astounded her even as she was prepared for it. They'd taken an Uber there, since there would be some drinking, and after an hour she was already feeling a little dizzy. Cindy was already beyond tipsy, and Larissa was strangely sober. But then she dropped her bombshell.

"Hey, you two are on your own, I'm finally staying here and going all the way with Lyle tonight!" Larissa said to the other girls while they were standing out on the deck. Rose's mind instantly went to where the hell they were supposed to sleep, since Larissa's house was where they were supposed to be going after the party. Cindy's mind obviously went elsewhere.

"Oh! Play with his balls when you blow him, he likes that!" she helpfully suggested.

"Eww! No way! I'm not putting that in my mouth, you can handle that!" She shuddered and then swished her way back to the kitchen.

"I forgot to tell her he likes a finger in his butt," Cindy complained.

Rose just shook her head, not understanding their dynamic at all. If she was ever with someone, that kind of thing wouldn't be a part of their relationship! She'd want her partner to herself.