Chapter 10

That night, Sydney looked down upon her sleeping son. She'd put him to bed an hour ago, and knew she could go to bed now herself, but seeing what Nai'a was going through was making her want to keep her kids in sight all the time. With one final kiss to his forehead, she walked back to her room, changing into her pajama shorts and a tee shirt before getting into bed and staring at the ceiling.

What was she going to do about Nai'a? She wanted to help, but it wasn't her place to get involved. The girl seemed adamant about handling it herself, but she didn't want her to get hurt and put back in the hospital. The worst thing is, if she wasn't so attached to her already, she wouldn't even be so worried.

But she liked her. A lot.

The only guy she'd ever been with, Ryker, had tried to have a relationship with her after she was pregnant, and she wasn't interested in the least. She barely remembered the sex, but she remembered not liking it in the least. It didn't help that afterwards he'd turned violent, and that she'd had to get a restraining order to keep him away from her. She'd tried going on a few other dates with guys in college, but never felt a thing for them. She couldn't even bring herself to let them kiss her at the end of the first date. Girls were entirely different, and she'd had a few girlfriends that had lasted for a few months or more before the stress of being a single mom wore things down.

Not having any steady relationships, and already being a single mom, she decided to use a sperm donor to have Jude and couldn't have been happier. She'd even had one relationship just after getting pregnant, but that fizzled when she told the girl that she'd just used a donor for kid number two. She got one final goodnight kiss on her front doorstep, and then hadn't been kissed since.

Until Nai'a's lips kissed her belly today.

Oh, did she want that mouth lower. Her voice was so silky, and her lips so soft. When she'd looked her in the eyes and pretty much demanded that Sydney strip her bare for the sponge bath, it made her realize that she wanted more of that. She wanted that young woman to tell her just what she wanted her to do. She wanted to be the naked one with Nai'a taking care of her, pleasing her, tasting her.

But she was barely 18 years old! Still in high school and probably not ready to become a stepmother to two kids, one of which was a actually few months older than she was! But she made Sydney happy. How could she not want to see what could happen? If she was in the hospital for another couple of weeks, and then they waited a month, would they still feel the same attraction? Sydney was pretty sure she knew the answer to that. If absence makes the heart grow fonder, then they'd probably be more than ready to see each other again.

So how was such an amazing girl alone in the hospital? She hadn't even heard her parents mentioned, let alone seen them visit their daughter. If her kids had been attacked and in the hospital like that, she would never leave their side except to find whoever had hurt them and put them in a grave. She felt hot tears in her eyes as she thought about how cruel life was sometimes.

"Mom? Are you okay?" came her daughter's voice as she stuck her head in the bedroom door.

She quickly wiped her eyes. "Oh, yeah. I'm good. Just a tough day at work."

"Me too! At school anyway. Mr. Ferguson hit us with a pop quiz, and nobody needs that." Her daughter sat on the bed and gave her a quick hug. "Did you lose a patient?"

She smiled softly, shaking her head. "No, not that bad, thankfully. We just have a girl recovering from an assault, and her parents haven't come to visit her once in over a week. I was just thinking about what I would have done if either of my kids were in that state."

"Mama bear would come out and protect us!" her daughter said with a giggle.

"Damn right I would! I'd hunt down whoever hurt you and kill them. These animals just beat her, fractured her skull and left her for dead. I'd make them rot in jail if I didn't kill them myself if anyone did something like that to you guys," Syd said, pulling her daughter in for a big hug.