55 ⭑ Goodnight, trouble.

"But the fire is coming, so I think we should run, I think we should run, run, run, run..."
Run by Daughter.
TW: The next few chapters will contain topics and content surrounding things like trafficking, sexual assault, kidnapping, and other dark themes that we've seen in chapters prior. If you can't handle this and\or it may be triggering to you, at the end of Chapter:57 there will be a summarised paragraph of the events passed to keep you on track without having to read the gory details. Thank you for reading and voting.

✰ ✰ ✰

I was in love with Serena Blanchard; Koiya's mom

She had the prettiest face, the most welcoming and caring spirit, the kindest soul, and the bubbliest personality all wrapped in a pretty orange headscarf.

Koi was right, they were exactly the same, inside and out.

"Ma, stop showing her baby pictures!"

"In a minute, Koiya! This was her first day of kindergarten..."

Serena and I were curled up on the couch in their warm and cozy one-story Brooklyn home, searching through a box of old photos, mid-pack. Some of Serena and her mother, some of Koi and Rome, as well as her other brothers. She was bragging and boasting like every mother should've, and she had no plans to stop despite her daughters' endless protests.

"Oh, m'god..." My uterus screamed when I saw the photo of itty bitty five-year-old Koi in a velvet red dress, standing outside of the very house we were in, smiling for the first day of school with missing front teeth, "Koi, you were so sweet!"

"Were? Bitch, I'm not dead. I am sweet."

"She used to be such a shy little thing," Serena reminisced, pouring herself and me another small glass of wine, "She had a little bit of a stutter so she was scared to go to school, and oh, how she'd cry when she had to leave her poor mama." She mocked her daughters' wailing cry and set the wine bottle down on the coffee table.

"Awe..." I laughed as Koi balled up her fists and pressed them against her eyelids embarrassedly.

"When she was home, she'd tear my house up building her forts and 'spaceships'!" Serena cackled, making Koi throw her body back into the mass of blankets and clothes all over the living room floor, "She'd dress up her dolls and have fashion shows. She'd tap dance and sing to Mariah Carey like there was no Tomorrow. She was a happy, happy child, just not when anyone else but us was around."

"I can't picture her being shy," I sat up, taking a sip of my wine before explaining, "When we met, she dragged me into a bathroom at a party, locked me in, and practically coerced me into coming to her Saturday sleepover."

"You should be grateful, you little brat!" Koi sat up, "You'd be dead if it weren't for me! Or worse, working at a grocery store and still thinkin' vibrators were cookin' utensils!"