98

"DD..." Zoey asked as they sat at the kitchen table eating ice cream for dessert. The little girl's gray eyes flashed to Sammy and back to Derek. "Is Sammy and Morgan spending the night?"

"They sure are... they're going to be here for a few nights until everyone else gets here." Derek replied as Sarah wiped chocolate ice cream dripping off Morgan's chin.

"So they can stay in my room?"

"They can... if you feel comfortable with that." Derek said, feeling his sister's eyes on him.

"Why wouldn't she feel..." Sarah started to ask as Zoey sighed.

"I guess it's okay... um... I just... um..."

"What is it, baby?" Derek asked as he scooped a mouthful of ice cream in his mouth as he watched her thinking.

"What happens if I have a bad dream?" She whispered as she watched Derek carefully.

"Then DD will be there to take care of it." Derek replied. "Stop worrying so much..."

"But that time... that time that Miss Kara stayed, and Carrie was here... remember, DD? Remember?"

"I remember... but we know what to do now, right... if you have a bad dream?"

"Miss Kara stayed?" Sarah asked, her eyebrows raised as Derek's focus remained on Zoey.

"She and DD had a slumber party when Carrie spent the night..." Zoey giggled. "It was really fun!" She said with a laugh as Derek stood up to put his bowl in the sink. Sarah stood up to follow him as there was a knock on the back door. Everyone turned to see a face peering in the window. Sarah jumped an the two girls nearly screamed as Zoey grinned. "MISTER MARK!" She exclaimed as she nearly leapt from her chair and ran for the door.

"Jesus Christ, Mark!" Derek exclaimed as he walked toward the door and unlocked it, letting Mark inside. "Are you trying to give us a heart attack?" He asked as he opened the door. Immediately, Zoey attached herself to Mark's leg as she squeezed tightly.

"Sorry about that..." He said as he laughed and walked into the house. "Hey... I didn't realize you had guests..." Mark said as Zoey ran back to her ice cream bowl at the table.

"Mark, you know my sister, Sarah... that's Morgan and Sammy, two of my nieces..."

"Hey..." Mark said with a smile as he walked over toward the cupboard and reached in for a bowl. "So I was going down to finance to help someone with one of their bills today..."

"Ever the chivalrous person..." Derek rolled his eyes as Mark pulled a bowl out and set it on the counter.

"Shut up, she was hot... and who do I see there, but..."

"Rachel... let's not talk about this..." Derek said as he looked to Sarah who was glancing over as Mark talked.

"What? She said she saw you today... and that you were carting around three kids... so I had to come around and see what was going on..." He said with a smirk.

"You knew what was going on, you just wanted ice cream." Sarah teased as she watched Mark smile.

"Me? No..." He laughed as he watched Sarah approach him. "It's been way too long, Sarah..." He said with a chuckle as he gave her a hug, reaching for the ice cream container that Derek was holding out to him as he released her and opened the top, scooping ice cream in his bowl. "So you here to help him go turkey hunting?" Mark asked as he watched Sarah laugh.

"Yeah..." She laughed. "And yam wrangling... tater tracking... cranberry bogging..." She said as Mark handed the ice cream container back to Derek as he tossed it back in the freezer. "Are you coming to Thanksgiving?" She asked with a smile as she walked back to the table and sat down.

"I may... I haven't been invited." Mark said with a smirk.

"Mister Mark is coming to Thanksgiving." Zoey replied. "I will invite you..." She said as she climbed off the chair.

"You will?" Mark said as he laughed as they all watched her walk to the refrigerator. She very carefully pulled the finger turkey on the refrigerator down and turned around, running toward Mark. "See, Mister Mark... this is your invitation..." She said with a smile.

"Hey, I thought that was my finger turkey?" Derek asked as Mark lifted her up and took the paper from her fingertips.

"No, it's Mister Mark's..." She said as she kissed Mark's cheek.

"Wow... this is a great turkey, little monkey..." He said as he admired the picture.

"I made it just for you." She said with a smile as Derek watched with raised eyebrows.

"I'll have you know..." Derek said. "That's a second hand gift... She told me the very same thing." He said as Mark laughed and walked toward the table with his bowl of ice cream.

"It doesn't matter to me... it's the thought that counts." Mark laughed as he sat down with Zoey in his lap, setting the paper on the table beside his bowl as he began to eat his ice cream.

"Gift thief." Derek muttered.

"Whiner." Mark replied.

"You know..." Sarah said with a laugh. "I'm... about this close to asking if you two are dating."

"Dating?" Derek laughed. "We're practically married... weren't you listening?" Derek laughed as he rinsed out his bowl and joined his guests at the table for a visit.