27

Derek made it to the door quickly, opening the door to the man and woman who were obviously dressed for an interview. Derek looked down at his t-shirt and sweats and immediately felt underdressed. He knew he had to play this cool, so he just stuck his hand out and smiled a genuine smile. "Good morning..." he said with a smile as he tilted his head. "I'm Derek Shepherd... I apologize for my appearance..." He chuckled. "We just got through with breakfast."

"Oh..." The woman smiled politely as she shook his hand. "It's no problem at all..." She said as the man shook his hand next. "I'm Mary Nolan, and this is Martin Sampson."

"Well Ms. Nolan, Mr. Sampson... come on in and make yourself at home. I should run upstairs and change into something a little more presentable." He said as he ushered them inside. "Zoey is upstairs changing right now..." He said politely as they looked around as they walked into the house.

"Mr. Shepherd, you have a beautiful house." Ms. Nolan said as she looked around at the pristine condition of the foyer and surrounding rooms.

"Thank you." Derek said proudly. "I designed it myself... and saw it through the entire building process. In fact, it was just finished earlier this year." He nodded as they looked around. "As I said, make yourself at home... take a look around... we'll be right down." He said as he closed the door behind them and made his way upstairs.

He walked up the steps and saw the light on in Zoey's room. "Zoey, are you doing alright in there?" He called as he listened to her going through her things.

"I can't find nothing to wear!" She exclaimed from the bedroom. Derek chuckled as he walked toward the room, finding her pulling clothes from her bag, throwing them across the room into haphazard piles.

"Woah, woah... You're making a mess..." Derek said as he walked up quickly behind her, stopping when he noticed her cringe. She turned quickly and faced him, her eyes were filled with a bit of fear, though she was more nervous that Derek had seen her reaction. "You alright?"

"Uh... huh..." She nodded. "I don't see what I want to wear." She said as she pointed to the bag.

"What do you want to wear?" He asked, his eyebrows raised as he looked at the bags.

"Um... a pretty purple shirt... with my blue jeans..." She said, pointing at her blue jeans across the room.

"Well, go get your jeans and set them on the bed..." Derek said as he watched her run across the room to grab the jeans. She set them on the bed and looked up at him. Derek looked through the bag carefully, pulling out a long sleeved purple shirt with little pink flowers on it. "How about this one?"

"Oh! Very good taste..." She nodded as she walked over to Derek and lifted it from his hands. "Thank you, Just Derek..." She smiled as she set the shirt on the bed next to her jeans.

"I will be right back... I'll knock on your door when I come back, I'm just going to get changed in my room, okay?"

"Okay..." She nodded as she watched Derek slip out of the room, closing the door. When he was out the door, she walked cautiously toward the door and reached for the knob. She could feel her heart pounding in her chest as she swallowed hard. She turned the knob and the door opened easily. She opened the door and peeked out, seeing Derek walking into his room. She smiled at the thought of her door not being locked, closed the door and proceeded to get dressed.

When Derek had thrown on a pair of jeans and a clean t-shirt, he ran a comb through his hair quickly and walked back down the hallway. He knocked on the door lightly and waited for her reply.

The door opened and Zoey stood there with a big grin. She had put her jeans and her shirt on and had her bag in her hand. She reached it up to Derek.

"What's this?"

"Hair stuff..." She said as she grinned.

"Hair stuff?"

"Yes." She replied. "Can you braid my hair so it looks pretty?"

"Um..."

"Just Derek?" she whispered as she tilted her head.

"I am not... I don't..." Derek stammered as she watched him carefully.

"Can you help me brush my hair?" She asked as she handed him the brush in her other hand.

"That... that, I can do..." Derek nodded as he took the brush and reached for her hand, leading her over to the bed.

He sat her in his lap and carefully pulled the brush through her blonde locks, being sure not to pull too hard as she happily sat and let him groom her. She looked to him, her gray eyes sparkling as he brushed it so lightly. "You're very good at this..." She smiled as she giggled.

"Well... I've had hair for a little while..." He winked. "I think I can handle this much..." He said as she laughed as he finished brushing her hair. "Alright..." Derek said as he looked at his handiwork, and the smiling little girl sliding from his lap. "Are you ready to go downstairs and meet our guests?"

"Um... yes..." She whispered.

"They're probably going to ask you some questions... so if you get scared, you can hold my hand..."

"Are they going to scare me?"

"I don't know, sweetheart... they seem pretty nice... but you know, they have to make sure that I am able to take care of you well... so you don't get hurt or sad again..." He nodded. "So you don't have to go through what you've gone through ever again..." He whispered.

"Thank you for saving me, Just Derek." She whispered, reaching her arms out to him. He paused for only a moment, simply to look into her eyes, as he reached his arms out to her and enveloped her into a big hug.

"Thank you for saving me..." He whispered, kissing her head. "I love you..."

"I love you." She whispered back, holding back her tears of happiness that she was finally in the arms of someone she knew would take care of her.