38

Derek walked toward the elevator with Zoey as she skipped along beside him, her backpack securely on her back, the smile returned to her face as she kept up with him. "So, how far is school?"

"Down the street..." Derek said with a smile. "We're going to walk from the hospital... it's not far at all."

"Oh! We get to take a walk?" She asked with a giggle as she grabbed hold of Derek's hand as they stepped into the elevator.

"We do, we do..." Derek said with a smile as he watched her bounce a little on her heels as the doors closed and the elevator moved to the floor that the lobby is on. She looked up at him and watched him as the elevator doors opened. They stepped out into the lobby and he looked ahead, her eyes still watching him carefully as he walked along with a smile.

She then noticed as his smile slowly disappeared, replaced with an anxious, almost angry look as they walked. She looked forward and noticed a woman coming in their direction. She had said Derek's name and that was how she had gotten Derek's attention, and was now heading right for them. Derek's smile had completely disappeared from his face and his gait had become sluggish as he took a deep breath.

"Derek... where are you going in such a rush!" The woman exclaimed as she pretended to not notice Zoey at first, when in reality she was the only reason that she had even chosen to give Derek the time of day.

"I have an appointment." He said, trying to move past her, his body movements were stiff and his jaw was clenching.

"Oh! Well look here... who is your little friend?" She said in a saccharine sweet voice as she crouched down toward Zoey. Zoey hid behind Derek for a moment as she scowled at the woman.

"I'm not little." She growled, her small voice squeaked as she looked up to Derek.

"She's not little." Derek replied as he tried to move past her. "She's late for school, Rachel, we have to go." He said with an angry growl as he felt Zoey grab his hand with both of hers.

"You don't have to be so rude, Derek." She said sternly as she finally felt the chill in his stare, and looked down at the little girl. "I was just asking a question."

"And I am under no obligation to give you an answer." He replied as he stepped around her as he and Zoey walked toward the door. Rachel watched them walk toward the door and noticed Derek relax as someone came in the door, hearing the squeal of the little girl, she looked over to see Mark Sloan lifting her in the air as she giggled wildly, Derek standing nearby as he talked to Mark for a moment.

Derek nodded as he talked, and Rachel watched Mark give the little girl a kiss on her cheek and lift her to the floor as he held his hand out for her to give him a high five. She then watched Derek take the little girl's hand and walk out the door as Mark walked toward the elevator.

She followed after him, catching up as they reached the elevator, he pushed the button as she came up alongside him. "Mark..." She said with a half smile as he didn't acknowledge her at first. "Mark, come on... act like a grown up..."

"What do you want, Rachel...?" He asked with a grunt.

"Who is that little girl with Derek?" She whispered, watching Mark smirk a little as the elevator doors opened.

"That's Zoey." He said with a smirk. "Derek's girl from New York." He chuckled, walking away from her as she stepped onto the elevator, and he took the stairs.