Chapter 36

It was the last day of September and there were still no signs of Noelle's whereabouts. Noelle's disappearance affected everyone, especially Sucrose and The Knights of Favonius. Sucrose couldn't practice waltzing properly with Albedo or Xingqiu for she couldn't get the thought of her running away like Albedo out of her mind. Or even worse, dead. Her overthinking delayed the progress of their practice and was practically dragging herself, Albedo, and Xingqiu down. She tried many methods to get her mind to not think of those thoughts but none of them worked. She could only pray to Barbatos that she was safe and still alive.

Meanwhile, with Evette, she had already gotten lots of photos of Albedo and Sucrose's time together — especially when they kept waltzing together. However, she didn't show the new photos to King Lionel yet. She wanted to wait for the most perfect time for the two to get even closer so that she could strike.

At night...

Aether and Paimon were invited to have dinner with their friends and with the Royal Family this time. Everyone ate joyfully except for Sucrose who was filled with paranoia and worry. She had been acting like that for several days now, not shaking off the feeling that Noelle was in deep trouble.

Sucrose excused herself quickly the moment she finished her meal and tried to think of something to cool her mind down.

"What's up with Princess Sucrose?"
Paimon asked.

"She's very worried about Noelle, the knight in training and a part-time maid here,"
Queen Aurelia answered.

King Lionel ate quietly, not sparing a single glance at his wife while she explained.

"Do you know her?"

"Yeah. But we're not that well acquainted with her."
Aether answered.

"Ah, I see. I was about to ask if you were friends with her, but clearly not."
She flicked her head to the side and mumbled her last words.
"When was the last time you've seen her? The Knights of Favonius haven't been able to get some sleep because of her disappearance and Sucrose doesn't want the same situation she experienced a long time ago to happen again."

"Paimon's sorry but the last time we saw her was a long time ago. Way back last year, Paimon thinks..."
She rubbed her chin.

"Oh. Well... I see."
That was all that Queen Aurelia could say.

They all finished their meals in silence. Paimon and Aether thanked Queen Aurelia and King Lionel for the meal and started to head back home when Queen Aurelia told them they can stay for a little bit longer to explore the place. 

Back when it was Sucrose's 17th birthday, both of them were late to the giving of the gifts stage as Paimon wanted to explore the castle — thus causing them to give their gifts late. So Queen Aurelia allowed them to wander around the castle.

They wandered around the castle until they reached a certain part where Klee kept staring at. Klee was there, spacing out as she stared into the plain marbled wall.

"Hey, Klee!"
Paimon called and waved.
"What're you doing?"

Klee didn't answer but kept on staring at the wall.

"Uhh, Klee?"

Still, no response from her.

"Hello?"
Paimon prolonged her greeting.
"Klee??"

"Klee? Is everything alright?"
Aether asked as she shook her shoulder, causing her to jolt in surprise.

"Huh?! O-oh, it's Paimon and Aether. Hello."

Paimon and Aether glanced and exchanged looks at each other.

"You don't sound like your enthusiastic self. Is something wrong?"