Chapter 12

Sucrose told Klee, Noelle, her parents, and the staff about Albedo's sudden leave. It was hard to believe, especially for Klee. He didn't state the reason why he left the city. Klee tried to deny it, shouting it was fake. She wanted proof that he was really gone. So the little girl rushed back to her own home — slamming the door open to see inside was a mess of a home. She looked everywhere, calling his name over and over until she realized he was no longer there. No one had followed Klee to stop her. All she saw were broken vases, tipped-over paintings and portraits of them, ruined bookshelves and so much more. She fell down on her knees, crying endlessly.

"Big bro... Don't leave me... Please..."

With Albedo...

The journey from Mondstadt to... somewhere... was silent. Seriously, silent. All the two ever heard was the rolling of the wheels and the light hooves of the horses pounding the ground. Albedo had this question ever since they left off to somewhere far away from Mondstadt, however, he was too scared to even ask as he feared his "father" would just shut him up. But it was worth a try.

"Why are we going away from Mondstadt?"

"As I said, you're not welcome there as of now. So I'm taking you to Dragonspine for things to calm down."

Dragonspine?
He thought.

Albedo was indeed shocked that he actually answered his question. After that one question, he decided to ask another, and another, and another...

"But... what happens to Klee? She'll be worried if I'm not with her!"

"I've seen you and Klee hang out with that princess. Princess Sucrose will just take care of her for now while you are gone."

"Does it really matter if we really need to be away for things to calm down?"

"Yes! For Archon's sake will you just shut up already?!"

Albedo was taken aback by this even though he saw this coming. He sort of felt sad about this. But there was one last question that left him wondering.

"Do you... actually, care about me?"

His "father" stayed silent, not stopping the carriage just to answer Albedo. Albedo then realized that his question was stupid and of course, he didn't care. What was he expecting? A change of heart? A change of mind? Those expectations were silly to Albedo as he knew none of this changed in his "father." But he answered his question in a way that caught Albedo off guard.

"No. I would leave you to freeze to death if I wanted to."

Shocked eyes, turning back to narrow ones as he understood he still didn't care in the slightest bit. However, Albedo felt an uncomfortable yet slight feeling that he did care. But it was just a guess, doubting that it'll be confirmed. The rest of the journey was quiet.

Once they reached their destination, the two saw a camp that looked abandoned that was near the snowy mountains. They set up their camp, claiming their not-so-luxurious home for now. Albedo gathered dry sticks and fallen leaves to start a fire. After preparing their necessities, night had already fallen in the sky. The fire crackling and old leather blankets left behind, gentle yet cold breezes wooshing through the air, clouds covering the sky — some felt so familiar yet it was merely a stranger to the two. Albedo was trying his best to sleep but the fire was so noisy. He kept tossing and turning in discomfort. Even if he started to complain about this, he knew exactly what would happen next.

"Hey, you."
His father called out.

Albedo did not want to turn around to see him, but he was listening.