Chapter 35

Over a week had passed and no progress to overcome the huge hurdle of the arranged marriage had been made. Sucrose started to worry greatly about Noelle's absence on the third day of the week and hosted a search party for her. The Kings and Queens over at Liyue were finally done signing papers after stacks and stacks of sheets they've read that might be the same thing over a hundred times. They've already moved on to the invitations. Albedo, Xingqiu, and Klee still had no clues about Evette's suspicion. Even though they knew something was up, they had to confirm it with evidence that Evette may be up to something odd. Kaeya and Diluc practiced the day after Sucrose had said the details Diluc wanted to hear and already, they sounded good after so many warmups.

Everyone seemed busy but on the first day of a new September week, The Knights of Favonius had no luck finding Noelle. They informed Sucrose but she refused to give up. She ordered them once more to search thoroughly and post up for missing person papers around Mondstadt. She had to cast her worries aside because of the comforting words her friends all around her would say about Noelle. Even if the majority of the feeling of her fears were put aside, the few that remained still lingered in her heart. It was a bad sensation for her to feel inside.

On the second day of the new week, she remembered that this would usually be the time when invitations were to be sent to whoever would be invited. Since Valerie, the maid who wrote invitations and letters, won't be writing invitation letters this year for Sucrose's birthday, (because Queen Aurelia was handling the invitations) Sucrose decided that now would be the good time to invite Sorin — her mother's past lover.

Immediately, she went to work. But she didn't expect herself to waste paper over trying to replicate her mother's handwriting. Not only were the papers wasted, but her ink was too. At one point, she wanted to give up but the determination within her rose once more and she sat there scolding herself because she wanted to give up. After a long pep talk, she began writing again.

At night...

Sucrose's hands were shaking and aching from writing so much. She went outside with a coat as the night was freezing cold. She pulled her hood over her head and walked on to the post office. In front of the post office was a busy woman who was reading and sorting out her work.

"Hi, can you deliver a letter for me?"

"What do you want? Can't you see that the post office is closed now?"
She said in a dead yet rude tone, not giving a single glance at Sucrose.

"O-oh, it's closed at this time? Sorry, I-I didn't read—"

"Are you blind or just stupid?"

"Excuse me?"
Sucrose responded, clearly offended.

"Did you not hear me? The post office opens at 5 am and closes and 8 pm. If you'd look at the time, it's 8:03."

Sucrose looked at the clock on the wall. She was indeed right. It was 8:03.

She scoffed at Sucrose's silence.
"I take it that you're both blind and stupid."

"What?"

"And you're deaf too."

Sucrose was fuming steam out of her head and ears and her cheeks turned red in rising anger. She clenched her vacant hand tightly that her knuckles her white. Just then—

SLAM

She slammed her tightly clenched fist on the counter, causing the rude woman to open her eyes wide in shock at the echoing sound of Sucrose's fist slamming on the counter. The woman looked at her fist and before she glanced at Sucrose's face, Sucrose said: