Chapter 27

"Wow..."
Sucrose exhaled in awe.

Sucrose and Queen Aurelia were lying on Sucrose's bed. Her mother was telling the story of how she and Sorin met.

"I'm... so sorry..."
Sucrose said.

"What for?"

"That... father had to take him away from you."

"Oh, honey. You don't have to feel sorry for me. It's... it was a long time ago."

"Do you love father?"
Sucrose asked with innocent but sad eyes, directing those eyes to her mother.

She stayed silent, gazing at Sucrose while her mouth was opened slightly. Her head then turned away from Sucrose, a bit scared to answer her.

"Yes... but not in the same way that I used to love Sorin. He was different. In a good way."

"Do you still love him? Sorin?"

"Not as much as I did before. He might've found someone else in Fontaine."

Sucrose stayed silent, glaring at her mother to squeeze out the specific answer she wanted. Queen Aurelia looked at her and expected her to ask another question but she was certainly wrong. Queen Aurelia sighed, frowning slightly.

"No. Not anymore. We were never meant to love each other in the first place..."
She finally admitted, rubbing her arm.

"But... mom..."

"If I had stayed away from him, things wouldn't be as painful as it was before. I knew about the tradition, but I didn't care. I wasted 4 years of his life loving me when our relationship was never supposed to happen. It was never in the script of my supposed fate."

"...He must've been an outstanding boy before."

"He was. We swore to each other to never leave each other's side. But then that changed when your father chose me."
She chuckled sadly, covering her eyes.
"I was stupid to think that I would marry him in the future when I didn't pay attention to the tradition."

Sucrose crossed her arms, furrowing her eyebrows.
"Stupid traditions."

"But you know,"
Queen Aurelia spoke, catching the attention of Sucrose.
"He was very charming. He was every girl's dream lover. Not only was he very handsome like a prince, but his personality was everything. It puts the cherry on top."

"I can tell just by the way you describe him. He must've been very wonderful before."

"But you know what shocked me before?"
Queen Aurelia said, looking at Sucrose with a playful smile.

"What?"

"Albedo reminds me of him."

"Huh? How? In what way?"
Sucrose asked as she sat up.

"Excluding Sorin's playful and cheeky personality, he kind of resembles Albedo. They look like they could've been princes, how you explained to me before that Albedo was a bit of a flirt, how he is such a good friend to you, and how he cared so much about you... it's not a coincidence. I'm just stating my opinion."

"You know? You may be right about that."

Both of them laugh together before catching their breaths and sighing at each other at the same time.

"The moment I saw you with Albedo under that tree, he reminded me of Sorin. I knew he would be perfect for you. I saw my younger self in you, Sucrose."

"Is that why you're helping me get with Albedo?"

"Yes. I saw how happy you two were under that tree. I couldn't possibly let the chance slip by me to help you win his heart."

"But... why are you doing this even though you couldn't do it before? I mean, I know you were lovers before but why let me get this opportunity when you couldn't get it yourself?"