Chapter 20

"We meet once more, my dear Sucrose."

She felt butterflies flutter in her stomach and she blushed brightly as she heard "my dear" come out of his mouth. She hugged him tight, never wanting to let go of her tight grasp.

"Oh, my Archons! It's you! You came back!"
Sucrose cried, tightening the embrace

"Ack— S-sucrose, I... can't—... breathe!—"

Sucrose immediately let go.

"Oh, sorry!"

Albedo sighed heavily, catching his breath. Sucrose cried tears of joy, as one might say.

"It's... it's you, right? I'm not hallucinating, right?"
Sucrose frantically touched Albedo's arm to confirm.

"What are you talking about? If it was your hallucination, I would've disappeared the moment you turned around. Or you wouldn't even be able to hug me."
Albedo chuckled.

"Oh, yeah. So you are real."
She sniffed, wiping her tears.
"It's just that... my mind is always playing tricks to think you are with me. And I thought I almost fell for it again."

"But this time, it's the real thing. No more tricks."
Albedo grabbed Sucrose by the waist, catching her off-guard.

He then lifted her glasses and wiped the tears from her eyes. She flinched a bit, closing one of her eyes as his thumb slid across under her eyelid. She grabbed his hand, placing Albedo's hand on her cheek. Their faces bloomed red as both of them blushed.

"However, I'm aware that this is your dream. You're only dreaming of me."
Albedo finally spoke, looking serious.

"Huh..? I... I'm dreaming? How did you know?"

Albedo just smiled at her as she waited for an answer.

"Well, that doesn't matter! What matters is that I'm with you, and you're with me."
Sucrose hugged him once more, imprinting the feeling inside her head.

Albedo hugged her back, removing her hat to pet her head.

"I haven't felt this way in a long time..."
Albedo whispered, making Sucrose's ears tingle.

Everything stopped. it felt like time stopped. A gust of gentle wind wrapped around the couple, drifting across the field. Their hearts beat in rhythm.

"Me too."
Sucrose responded.

"I missed you so much, Albedo. You have no idea..."

"I don't think I do, haha."

They lay in each others' arms for a few minutes before letting go. Sucrose placed her hands on his chest while his arms wrapped around Sucrose's slender waist. They both stared into each other's eyes, seeing that vision of the future inside of their eyes once again. It was the only thing the both of them could see when facing each other.

"Let's sit somewhere. Shall we?"
He suggested, putting back Sucrose's hat on her head.

Sucrose nodded and they both found a spot to sit on. They found a small hill, one not that steep. They lay down on the grass, looking at each other, slightly giggling.

"We have a lot of catching up to do."
Albedo mentioned, moving closer to Sucrose to the point they touched shoulders.

Sucrose felt that same warm fire, kindling in her heart. Like a reignited spark, lit up by Albedo.