Chapter 18

"Who is it?"
Aether asked, setting down the bowl on his lap.

"Sucrose."

"..."

Both of them shared a silence that I was unable to describe. It wasn't awkward, nor was it shocking. It was just plain silence. Until it was suddenly broken up by both Aether and Paimon.

"WHAAATT!?"
Both Aether and Paimon yelled in confusion.

"Why do you two respond like you just saw me murder a person?"

"No-no it's just that.. you suddenly got reminded of Sucrose — The Princess of Monstadt!?"

"Uhm, yes?"

Aether stayed mostly in quiet shock, jaw dropped while Paimon did all the talking.

"As in — THE Princess of Mondstadt, Sucrose??"

"Yes. She's the one I love."
Albedo straightforwardly responded.

"I'm sure she has a lot of suitors so hahaha—"

"I've been childhood friends with her."

Paimon froze, then fell on the Aether's legs, which, startled Aether, and lifted his half-drank bowl of soup from his lap so it wouldn't spill on the blanket. Albedo sighed in exhaustion as he rubbed his finger on his cheek.

"I-I'm so sorry Albedo, Paimon has never heard of anything like this before. And neither have I."
Aether apologized.

"It's fine."

"Do you love her romantically or platonically?"
Aether asked, interested in his love life.

"Um.. romantically..."
Albedo mumbled.

"..Well, if you love her romantically, why are you here instead of being inside Mondstadt city?"

"It's... a long story. If you're interested, I can tell you some other time."

Things then became suddenly and surprisingly awkward. None of them spoke a word. However, Aether took this opportunity to finish the bowl of soup. Fortunately, good for Albedo, he really didn't mind the awkward moment, he was just testing some stuff with his alchemy. Aether tried to strike up a conversation as he spectated Albedo swirl a beaker in his hands.

"So, uh, what's that you're doing?"
Aether asked in an awkward tone, setting the bowl aside.

"Testing potions for my latest alchemy research."
Albedo straightforwardly spoke.

That was fast!
Both Paimon and Aether thought, taken aback by his quick answer.

"Do you just.. test potions every now and then? With that sort of.. alchemy with yours?"

"Not at all. However, yes, at the moment, I am making some new test potions because I'm lacking in some materials I need for my research. It's only the basic ones."

Aether — got unknowingly interested in Albedo's words talking about alchemy — he stood up and observed Albedo. Talks like this would leave people not to listen, leave, or become bored. But to Aether, he thought that Albedo's explanation of alchemy was quite interesting. Maybe the way he talked while making more potions and his tone of voice sounded soothing to Aether. In reality, Aether was only focused on Albedo's attractive tone of voice. Paimon didn't want to feel lonely so she joined the two boys. She floated her way over and levitated beside Aether.

"Alchemy is a difficult thing to master as it takes years to study its values. Not a lot of people really know the basics or advanced studies in alchemy because it seems too difficult to understand. But it can give you a lot of knowledge about this hidden world of secrets. I've always wondered about everything about this world, that's why I started to do alchemy when I was young. But making potions is just like some sort of witchcraft thing. It doesn't amuse me that often."