Ch 76 : Jennette

"Oh well, since we have the coincidence of meeting twice, will you accept a dance with me?" Arius stretched out his hand and gave her a wink.

Jennette just stared at him in a daze and Arius took her hand in his own.

He turned to face the nobles who were whispering about her a while ago and gave them a glare. A glare fitting a son of the cold-blooded emperor.

The nobles knew better than to stand in his way and cleared a path to the centre of the ballroom.

The fourth song had just begin and so Arius and Jennette soon blended in with the other pairs of dancers.

"Thank you, Your Highness." Jennette spoke as they danced underneath the sparkling chandeliers.

"What for? I was merely finding a way to escape the nobles." Arius although stated this, the way he was dancing with Jennette, being ever so careful as to not go too fast for her, and make sure none of her bruises hurt as she danced.

Jennette would probably be around the same age as Arius, but Arius still thought of her as his little sister.

As they danced Jennette had a smile etched on her face. She definitely looked like a female lead.

"How did you know my name, your highness?" she asked with hopeful eyes.

Arius wondered the appropriate answer to this. Telling her he's known they're related would make Jennette question why the royal family hadn't welcomed her despite knowing she was one of them. And feigning ignorance to that wouldn't go well with Arius's conscience.

She deserved to know.

Arius gave her a smile of pity. "That's because Lady Margarita, you're-"

"Brother?!" Arius looked up and around to see Athanasia staring at Arius and Jennette.

But Athanasia wasn't alone, standing beside the pair of cousins was another pair dancing, Athanasia and Ijekiel.

Athanasia had the most confused look on his face, and Ijekiel wasn't doing any better.

Arius just gave his little sister a wink, before continuing his dance. He was careful not to mistakenly step on Jennette's feet.

And not so suprisingly, Jennette hadn't stepped on his feet either. Speaking of which, her dance was almost close to perfect. She was probably looking forward to this debutante so much that she practiced a lot for the dance.

Arius gave her another smile of pity, before continuing the dance. Jennette didn't talk much throughout the dance, she would merely look at Arius as if her dream was becoming reality.

Her yearn for a family. Her eyes looked so desperate for affection and validation.

As the fourth song ended, Arius and Jennette bowed to each other. Jennette was about to say something, probably thank Arius for the dance, but Athanasia stepped in between them, "I'm sorry Lady Margarita, may I borrow him for a while?"

Jennette took a step back from the startle, "Er-Uh-Sure."

Athanasia dragged Arius off the centre and towards a secluded area. But right after Athanasia stopped, Arius was the one to drag her out of the ballroom. They went to one of the outer terraces, he used magic to create a soundproof barrier and then gestured for Athanasia to begin.

"Okay, WHAT. WAS. THAT."

"Geez, just cause there's a sound barrier doesn't mean you should scream your lungs out."

"Brother look, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with dancing with her, I'm just saying-requesting, can you please tell me before you do something that involves her?"