Ch 56 : A Secret for a Secret

Arius was sitting in his study, half reading and half petting Snow. Before, Arius didn't get too attached to Snow because he knew that Lucas would take him away. But surprisingly Lucas didn't. And he even allowed the siblings to meet with it at least once a month.

Arius smiled at his mana beast and completely closed the book. Thinking back, Snow really helped him a lot. Like when they were stuck in that awkward lunch with Vivia Lennox.

Arius rubbed Snow's head.

"You deserve a treat."

Arius picked up a cookie and fed it to the beast. Soon enough Arius began throwing the cookies in the air and Snow would fly and devour each cookie, and then elegantly sit back on Arius's lap.

*Knock*

*Knock*

"Your Highness, I've brought them." It was Gunther.

Arius's mood shifted.

"Come in."

Arius once again opened his previous book. Snow understood its master's wishes and became invisible.

Winslow and Willow bowed down and did the normal greetings. They didn't have to. Arius had told them they were friends. But not right now. Right now they were merely prince and subordinate. After all the prince gave them a mission, and he expected results.

"Did you get the information?"

"Yes."

"Very well. Sit and tell me everything. Without leaving a single detail." Arius's eyes shone a cold blue, but he soon remembered something.

"Gunther, can you bring Olivia here? And ask Lilian to send Athanasia here as well."

"Your Highness, with all due respect, I don't think what we discovered is something a child should here, even you should... "

"I already know the gist of it. The Alpheus successor is my friend and he told me a few things but there were more things I needed to know. Which is where you both come in."

The twins bowed in acceptance and Gunther went off to fulfill the tasks.

------

Athanasia soon came toddling inside. "Ah! Winslow! Willow!" She ran up to the twins.

"Hello princess, you seem well. I heard you were sick."

"Athy's all better now! " Athanasia puffed her chest, and the twins let out a chuckle.

"Are we gonna play? Brother is that why you called me?" Athanasia looked at her brother who gave her a half smile.

"Playing comes later. For now, Athy, I wanted to call you here because they have brought the information according to that request."

Athanasia made an o with her lips when she understood what her brother meant.

"Duke Roger Alpheus. So what did they find out?"

"I don't know, I was waiting for you before they start telling me."

"Oh, thank you."

Athanasia sat on the couch, besides Arius.

"Begin." One word and the twins started.

--------

Everything that the twins mentioned were mostly things Arius had already known. The hidden princess, Jennette.  The abuse inflicted and the strictness. And out of all their details, one seemed unfamiliar. One detail which Arius had no clue about.

The Duke had a visitor on one of the days the twins were observing the Duchy.  A man who wore noble clothing, charcoal hair and eyes just as black. 

The Duke had several visitors, but what made this one so important for the twins to point out? He sensed the twins spying on him. Not just sensed, he made eye contact with the twins and for just a glance his eyes glowed, glowed cerulean jewels.

They passed it off as a mere fault of sight, but they still mentioned every single detail to Arius.

Olivia was currently setting down juices and cookies for the children, and thus their discussion had haulted.

Thud

As soon as Olivia left, Winslow questioned the royals. "I might sound rude, but we just told you there's another Obelian princess staying in the Alpheus Duchy and yet you two look pretty calm. Did you know this before?"

Athanasia pulled a ninety degree with her neck to her brother.

"Calm, you say? We're the type to freak out on the inside." Arius stated placing one of his hand on Athanasia's back as to reassure his sister.

The twins observed the royals for a good five seconds, before munching on the cookies.

"If I may ask, what do you intend to do now?" Winslow asked.

Arius brought his glass of juice to his lips and took a sip as he thought of the question.

Felix and the guests Claude mentioned would arrive tomorrow, or maybe even by tonight. He could just ask Felix about that visitor, maybe he knows something. And as for the abuse part, Ijekiel has resolved to go to Arlanta so he'll be fine. But Jennette...

Arius looked at Athanasia who also seemed to be thinking about it. He sighed and decided to think of the last detail, another princess.

From the very start this was just a test for the twins. To see their capabilities, to see their loyalty. And they had passed this test. They told Arius everything, even the details, they could be hiding more things, but according to the information he recieved from reading Who made me a princess and from Ijekiel, everything fit well.

These two now knew a state secret. A secret that could wreak havoc in the empire. Arius looked at the twins and he could tell they were nervous. Of course they'd be, Arius could have them killed to keep the information from leaking.

But now, that's not how Arius is like. Instead, Arius would much rather help them reach their full potential. He had promised to himself, that this time, in this life, he won't let these kids die. Not again. He would help flourish their talents and help achieve their dreams.

Arius smiled at them.

To form a trusted bond between them, he had to do this.

"Thank you for this information. And since this was a dangerous task, you can ask me for any reward that is within my power to give you."

The twins nervously exchanged glances. "Before, let's get one thing cleared, Your highness, is it really okay for us to know a secret this big? " They locked eyes with me.

"You're worried I'll have you killed to keep the information from leaking?"

The twins averted their eyes from mine.

"A secret for a secret. You keep mine and I'll keep yours." 

"What do you mean-" Winslow began but froze as Arius pointed to his ears.

"You both are half elfs, right?"

.
.
.
Vote and Comment!

[A/N] : I can't be the only one crying cause WMMAP ended?

Welp, who's excited for the side stories ??