Present Day | A renovation

Tanisha started coming home later than usual. Her work schedule hadn't changed and when she'd come home, she had this pensive expression on her face. I knew there was something.

" You're back late again..." I say, hearing her enter the house. I'm sitting on the couch as I watch her take off her shoes and wash her hands in the sink.

"Well... I am busy these days." The water wasn't running loudly since Sha only uses the necessary amount, as she says, so she did not need to speak louder.

"Why ? What's happening ?" I ask, walking away from the couch, to the chairs at the counter.

"I'm just busy with my work as a gang leader... you know how it goes..." She dries her hands and starts browsing in the fridge.

"No I don't." I say as I sit down. "Why didn't Jessie come back with you ?"

"She took mum's car today, so she's picking her up from work." I stared at her and confusion gradually morphed onto her face. " What ?"

"No, I don't know how it goes as a gang leader. Tell me."

"It's just... The upper leaders and I are talking about the state of the crib. It needs renovation but we don't have the money for it. We can't find another place either and if we do renovate it, where would Izzy, Nate and Kyle go ? Well Kyle has his grandma but that ain't the case for the other two."

"Is renovation necessary ?"

"Yes. Yes it is. The crib has never received any fixing since it was first built. It's been through a lot, you know it. We won't be able to stay there if it stays like that. Mum's paying for you tuition, I'm paying for the loan, Jess is helping fund the crib... I don't know where we'll get that money..."

"I could quit uni-"

"Are you stupid ?" She interrupted me before I could even finish my thoughts. "One of us has to go to uni."

"But I can always go to a cheaper one-"

"If you quit this uni, you better be ready to quit the gang."

"You can't kick me out, Sha-"

"Test me." she said. I shut my lips as I looked at her in disbelief. She wasn't joking, I could see it in her face. There was no ounce of kidding. "Just stay in school and don't make mum's money go to waste. We'll find a solution, you just study." she concluded in a softer tone.

* * * 

"She said that ?" exclaimed Aneesa. I had told her the conversation I had with Sha the other day. We were heading to our first period of the day.

"Yeah she did. I'm actually worried now. Money has always been one of our biggest issues especially since...you know."

"Since what ?" asked Xavier. He arrived from behind and started walking to my left. "What's happening ? Why the long face, Mika?"

Mika ?

"Titi and piss off."

"Tamika ! He's part of the crew now, you can't push him away like that." argued Aneesa. "The crib needs renovation but we also need money to do that."

"How much money ?"

"A big lot. We also need a place to stay while the renovation takes place, especially our younger ones..."

His expression started to gloom as his head lowered. "I'll see you two after school. Bye." He started walking in front of us, directing himself to his building.

"What the-"

"Bye Xavier !" replied Aneesa.

"Bye Mika." He said, waving his hand. I didn't wave back and I didn't even feel like replying back even with Neesa hitting my arm with her elbow. We went to our classes and later we drove to the crib with Asad. Xavier didn't come along. Ever since this morning we hadn't seen him. At the crib, I started to pay more attention to my surroundings. Until now, I hadn't realized how worn out the place was. Asad, Neesa and I walked to the back of the house. Asad went up to the podium where JJ was standing while we went to Sha.

"Is X on his way ?" asked Sha. Nate, Kyle and Izzy were next to us as we subconsciously formed a half circle around her. The three younger ones looked at Neesa and I, waiting for an answer. I shook my head.

"We saw him in the morning but not after." answered Neesa.

"Weird..." She glanced back at Asad before turning her head back to us. "Anyways, there's something we need to discuss today." she added before walking up the steps that lead to the podium. "Stand tall !" shouts Asad as Nisha reaches his side and faces the crowd. "Respect." continues Asad, shouting in a hoarse voice. We all bow down and pay our respect to the leader.

"If y'all hadn't noticed. The crib is growing old. For it to continue to be a safe place for us all, renovation is needed. Unfortunately, we don't have the means for that." The crowd starts speaking among themselves. "We're still trying to find ways to get the cash but for now our priority is to find another place to stay... That's all." She concludes with a saddened expression on her face.

"Dismissed." shouts Asad.

"Is Xav still not here ?" asks Nate.

"No... It's really weird." admits Neesa.

"There's no way he would quit so soon..." says Izzy.

"What if he was a Rox undercover..." I say, laughing to myself. The others weren't laughing with me. No, they were all glaring at me with concerned looks. "I was just joking. Don't take me seriously y'all."

"Well me and Kyle-" began Izzy before getting cut off by Asad. He was walking towards us after coming down the platform, followed by Sha.

"Kyle and I." he corrected.

"Kyle and I... We are going to drive around and look for him." She turned around and began walking away to the house. Kyle did the same.

"Yeah see you guys later." 

"Since when do you drive, Kyle ?" asked Sha with a quizzical look on her face.

"Don't worry about it." He gave us a quick wave. 

And so they left. The rest of us waited two more hours before concluding that Xavier wouldn't come. Weirdly Kyle and Izzy hadn't come back either. Were they still looking for him, we didn't know. They weren't answering our calls and texts. Asad drove JJ and I home before dropping Aneesa home. Tanisha said she wanted to stay a bit longer, to give the newbie the benefit of the doubt and to keep Nate company.