Epilogue III

It had been an interesting few years. The outlaws from the west adapted to their new way of living, working smarter and travelling in small groups to chase leads and then return to their base. What was first used as a cover-up, became a surprising source of income and allowed those who didn't want to partake in the shadier opportunities afforded to the gang to do so at their leisure.

Surprisingly, Ada found herself less interested in travelling out to do jobs, unless poker was involved when Trelawny twisted her arm until she agreed, and found her time fuller when she spent it giving back to those in need. While out scouting to see what shook loose, she came across an orphanage and became a regular there to teach the kids for free. Their little faces when they read their first sentence or did their first sum was worth much more than any money she could rob from a train. It didn't take long for the Van der Linde gang to become frequent donors there, either. With Jack turning eight, he often accompanied Ada out and spent time with kids his own age and became a rather useful helper during class. Tilly too had expressed an interest in learning to teach and so made a trip down of her own from time to time.

One person who thankfully found a purpose was Swanson. On a very drunken night during a painfully hot summer, Karen and Sean had insisted he officiate their wedding. Nobody had thought to tell them it's probably a bad idea to do that while under the influence, or whether Swanson was actually qualified to do so, but the two didn't regret it one bit come morning. It not only inspired John to marry Abigail properly, but also Lenny who had been in a very stable relationship with Jenny for some time.

All the love in the air fuelled Mary-Beth's writing, so much so that she'd begun talks with a publisher about taking it further and starting a career. Hosea had been especially proud and often proofread her works (all the while suggesting she add in a murder case which she promptly rejected).

Susan was truly in her element, with so much work to be done she ran a tight ship with all things farming-related and had a number of willing stable hands and ranchers to order around. Pearson too was in a similar situation as he was previously, but with more readily-available stock to allow him to cook some more adventurous dishes. Everyone was glad that stew stopped being their only option for nourishment. Even Strauss had a big part to play and was in charge of all the finances that passed through. Uncle didn't change much, except having the sole responsibility of ensuring the liquor remained topped-up in camp; seemingly the only thing he would do thanks to his personal connection to the task.

The main people that continued to go out travelling and return with money were Arthur, Charles, Javier, Sean, and Bill. Their jobs had become more infrequent as time passed since the necessity lessened considering the success of the work at the ranch. In fact, many of Arthur and Charles' trips out become hunting trips, and the two made a nice bit of money with their honed skills in quick kills and good-quality pelts. Their small family along with Cleo found a perfect rhythm in their day-to-day life.

Ada often thought she'd stumbled into one of Jack's books with how picture-perfect everything was. She made a couple of journeys to see Roy, updating him on the lack of criminal activities the gang partook in and receiving reassurance that they were still very much safe in their haven. Life was everything she wanted and more, waking up beside Dutch every day and being surrounded by so much happiness. However, she'd seen him with a thoughtful look on his face while he sat alone on their balcony on more than one occasion.

"Evening," Ada steps into the setting sun, placing her arms around his chest from behind and resting her chin on his shoulder.

"Hello darling," he says, holding his hand to her forearm.

"What's on your mind?"

Dutch pauses, turning to look at her and she releases him to stand up straight. "Nothing, why do you ask?"