Chapter 57

A/N: CW for discussions of infertility, though the conversation isn't a sad one :)

Much to Ada's dismay, Hosea agreed with Dutch about not trusting Roy despite how much he too wanted to move out west and said something about them being 'too far gone for redemption'. Arthur sided with her mostly, his desire for going west overpowering any other argument he might've had. Regardless, Dutch's word is final and Ada eventually settles, much happier to at least have her freedom to come and go as she pleases; though she often finds herself wanting to spend the day with her lover anyway. It turns out that while their ship had taken to water, the waves were still yet to settle. But now, amongst calm waters, the pair's voyage has been a smooth one that they've learnt how to traverse together.

While on guard duty, something she's overjoyed about being assigned to though nobody else seems to understand why, Trelawny and Dutch ride into camp, Dutch calling to her about switching with Charles because he needs her for something. Once her replacement is settled at the post, she meanders back in and makes her way over to the table and Dutch pulls her into his side, for Ada to run a hand through his hair.

Whatever story Trelawny was telling is forgotten as he looks between the two in bewilderment.

"Oh yeah," Dutch chuckles. "Forgot you ain't been around in a while. Didn't occur to me to mention it to you."

"Well," he collects himself and clears his through, "that is, certainly... uh..."

"Something," Arthur smirks, finishing off his sentence and Trelawny nods in agreement.

"That is one way of describing it, dear boy," he agrees, eyes still wider than usual and Ada can't help but laugh.

"I heard you got a job for me?" she reminds him and he settles into his usual exuberant comfort zone.

"Ah, yes. Remember that fellow you met at the ball, the one about the poker games?"

Ada hums her recollection of the man, then Dutch vocalises his disagreement before Trelawny can go on. "I don't remember a fellow about a poker game?"

"You were busy with Miss O'Shea, if I remember rightly," Ada says coolly, promptly shutting Dutch up as he shrinks slightly in his seat.

Hosea snorts fondly at the memory and Trelawny resumes the topic at hand. "Well, yes. I have an in at one of their games in a week's time, if you'd allow me to escort you, I might just be able to wrangle you some beginner's luck."

"Is that right?" she smiles slyly, "well I am more than happy to play the part."

"And," Dutch interjects, finding his voice once again, "where is this tournament?"

"Saint Denis," Trelawny informs him, "about as far east as one can go."

"Then I'm coming too," Dutch asserts, for Trelawny to waver slightly.

"Actually," Hosea pipes up, decidedly placing his book on the table, "I was thinking I should go with them, instead."

"But -" Dutch stops himself, glancing to Ada and then back to Hosea.

"It'll do you some good," he smiles comfortingly, "I'll take good care of her."

Dutch looks back up to Ada who shrugs in agreement. "I'll be fine."

He purses his lips slightly with a short exhale, visibly searching his mind for a valid excuse to join them. "But..." he starts again, trailing off when no reasons surface.

"You need to be here," Ada reminds him. "We won't be gone long, be nice for you to have some time to yourself too. Besides, I've never run a job with Hosea and I'm eager to see him in action," she smirks at the man across from her who tilts his head down in agreement.