Chapter 25

Ada assumed the gang would have moved straight away, but apparently not. And she now knows better than to question the decision, even if it is just out of curiosity. They've stayed for two days but it seems they're finally going to move soon. She's not been in the mood to do much except for shoot stuff. Currently, her victims are the empty bottles lined up in front of her. Three successive shots with a 100% hit rate later, she's back in camp searching for more victims.

"You're going through them bottles like a divorced man with whores in a whorehouse," Uncle chuckles while she's looking under Pearson's wagon. He's sat under a tree, as usual, and she eyes the bottle of whisky he's clutching to his chest. "Don't even think about it," he warns. "There's still drink in it!"

She walks towards him and plucks it out of his hands, and proceeds to chug the quarter that's left. "Not anymore," she says and wipes her mouth.

He holds his hands up in protest and scoffs, before having to stand up with a dramatic groan and find himself another.

When she's back in the outskirts of camp with seemingly the only bottle that's left within a three-mile radius balanced on a tree branch ahead, she takes a few strides back to increase the challenge somewhat. She pulls out her revolver and the bottle is smashed on the ground moments later.

"You're getting glass everywhere." Dutch's voice sounds from behind her. It's the first time he's spoken to her since the "second incident".

"I can practice on you instead, if you'd prefer," she grumbles and reloads her gun without turning round.

He walks past and then in front of her, outstretching his arms. "Go ahead."

She knits her brow slightly and brings her gun up to get him in her sights. She cocks it and he doesn't even flinch, a small smirk growing on his face instead. She hums in amusement and puts it back in her holster.

"Why didn't you do it?" she asks.

"Do what?"

"Hand me over to him. Pretty decent deal for the low, low price of yours truly," she gestures to herself.

He nods as though he's thinking, but she suspects he's just adding to the theatrics; something she's realised he very much enjoys doing. "Honestly? The way he spoke to you, it -" he scratches at his chin and shakes his head minimally, "I didn't like it."

"You've said much worse to me," she scoffs.

"Well, that's just it," he takes a few steps towards her and tilts his head as he studies her face. "I don't want anyone to hurt you but me."

She scowls at him. "That's a bit sick."

"Perhaps. I'm many bad things Ada, but at least I'm honest."

"Why do you want to hurt me?" she asks, the pitch of her voice picking up slightly.

He shrugs. "Why do you want me to hurt you?"

Ada searches his eyes for some semblance of sanity and just blinks at him when she finds none. "I don't?"

He smirks again before walking past her and back into camp.

What was that all about?

She's grateful that he chose to defend her at the cost of potential extra freedom for himself and the gang, even if it was likely all lies, but it's something that's been on her mind a lot since it happened. He didn't just disagree to the deal, he threatened to kill Milton and Ross. Told them he'd put a bullet in them if they didn't leave. It's stuck with her, and somewhat softened the wall she's put up against him. Not completely, and she'd be lying if she said she wasn't still angry. She is.