Chapter 58

A/N - TW: violence and blood

Thankfully, Hosea softened somewhat during the journey back, his happiness with such a large win outliving his irritation with Ada's recklessness. She was still glad to have some company besides him once the two finally arrived back in camp.

The reception they receive, however, is not what they expected it to be.

A nervous air shrouds the place, a few anxious expressions residing on the faces of the gang members Ada briefly passes her gaze over. She shares a quick look of confusion with Hosea who goes to investigate what had gone on in their absence, while she makes her way to Lenny who's tending to his horse beside another that she doesn't recognise.

"Oh, you're back," he states, pausing his brushing to register her presence. "Welcome home," he says as an afterthought.

"Thanks... who's this guy?" Ada asks, petting the black Missouri Fox Trotter who knickers in response.

"That'd be Baylock," he states and Ada nods, no clearer on what's going on and searches the camp to find Hosea leant on a table while he speaks to Arthur, so she decides to join them.

"...nearly got himself shot over it," she overhears the end of his sentence, Hosea straightening up and clearing his throat when he sees her approaching.

"Who nearly got shot?" she asks, dreading the response.

"Uh," Arthur coughed, "nobody."

She tilts her head at him exasperatedly, resting her hands on her hips. "What's he done now? Where is he?"

"He - he's fine!" Arthur places a reassuring hand on Ada's arm, but she looks towards their closed-up tent and scowls at Arthur before marching over despite his protests for her not to say anything.

"Dutch?" she asks, pushing the flap of the tent to find him sitting sheepishly on his cot. He looks up, eyes softening at the sight of her and she sits next to him as close as she can, taking his hand in hers. "What's this about you getting yourself almost killed?"

He dips his chin, swallowing before giving her an answer. "I am fine, nothing to worry about. Who told you?"

"Are you lying to me again?"

"No! No -" he takes a breath, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and she can't help but lean in. "I didn't want you worrying so I told them not to say anything. I really am fine." At the raise of Ada's concerned brow as she scans him for any signs of injury, he sighs once again to begin his explanation. "Got into a... disagreement of sorts at a saloon up in the Grizzlies. Went to sell that gold but the man was an annoying bastard and rubbed me the wrong way, then turns out he had friends..."

Ada's eyes widen, clutching to his waistcoat to remind herself that he's still here with her. "You were on your own?"

"Well... yes. But I had help. It's fine, I got out of there and came back to camp."

With a sigh and a nod, Ada wraps her arms around his neck and he wraps his around her waist in turn. "You stupid man," she holds a hand to the back of his head, pulling him as close as she can get. "I'm glad you're okay."

"I'm much better now you're back," Dutch hums and she releases him to cup her hands at his jaw.

"Is this your new tactic? Getting yourself in trouble when I leave so that I'll stay?"

"I think someone's been playing too much poker," he smirks.

"Perhaps you're right."

He presses his lips to hers in a chaste kiss, Ada half debating bedding him right there but suspects it's probably not the right time. "Is Hosea out there?" Dutch asks and she nods. "I want to hear how this job went," he stands, holding a hand for her to take and the two make their way out to the table where Arthur sighs in relief that he hadn't caused yet another argument.