35 - paper rings

"kiss me once 'cause you know i had a long night
kiss me twice 'cause it's gonna be alright
three times 'cause i've waited my whole life
i like shiny things but i'd marry you with paper rings
darling, you're the one i want, and
i hate accidents except when we went from friends to this
darling, you're the one i want"

Harry.

"You're crazy. This is insane." She looks down at me, and her face is covered in pure bliss, but I haven't gotten an answer yet, so on one knee I will stay. "Marriage is a huge commitment."

"So is having a baby and moving halfway around the world. I want you regardless of what happens. Dennie love, this is happening."

"We can't get married–"

"Can't we?"

She looks at me and I know her answer. She bites her lip.

Time can't slow down enough from when I ask and she responds. Everyone always says that the time that passes in that moment of a proposal is excruciatingly long and painful.

I can understand where they're coming from. Proposing to someone is one of the most vulnerable moments of one's life.

You're down on your knee in front of them, telling your person that they are the one who fills your mind, heart, body, and soul. That they're the person you're choosing to spend the rest of your life with and that all you can do is hope they do the same.

I understand them, yes, but relate to them? Not at all.

I'm not nervous in the slightest. Call me cocky, but there's not a doubt in my mind that she'll say yes. It's impulsive and crazy, but it's just impulsive and crazy enough.

We've waited ten years for this to happen, we've lived separate lives to come back together and stay that way.

So, no, in this moment I'm not the slightest bit nervous. Because Nadine will say yes, my heart will soar, everything will feel perfect, and we will be married.

She'll say yes, and give me the romance and the love I've been devoid of all these years. She'll give me the means in which I'll satisfy my life's true destiny.

Right now, I'm grasping at straws trying to savour every last millisecond of this moment. The anticipation in my stomach, the love in my heart, the pavement of the concrete against my knee, her hand in mine, her eyes on mine, her face as she looks down at me–I'm committing it all to my long-term memory. If I try hard enough, it'll be just as vivid whenever I call upon it, so I may experience this moment at my leisure.

The moment where Nadine said yes.

"What's one more?" Her question confirms my intuition. "I love you and I want to marry you."

As predicted, my heart soars in my chest. In an instant my lips are pressing against the backside of her hand. "I don't have a ring for you," I stand, and press my lips to hers. She holds me tight against her, and I do the same, "but I promise it won't be long before I do." In between kisses, I promise that to her.

"I don't need one. I'd marry you with a ring folded from paper if I must."

Honks sound from the street, followed by cheering and wishes of congratulations. Someone driving by had just happened to witness this whole thing.

Nadine's cheeks flush a deep red. She talks against my lips. "My heart's beating so fast. We should probably go back inside."

"Or we could stay out here for a little while."