13 - sparks fly

*DON'T FORGET TO READ CH. 12 !!*

"and you stood there in front of me just
close enough to touch
close enough to hope you couldn't see
what i was thinking of
drop everything now
meet me in the pouring rain
kiss me on the sidewalk
take away the pain
'cause I see, sparks fly, whenever you smile
[you] get me with those green eyes, baby
as the lights go down
gimme something that'll haunt me whenever you're not around
'cause i see, sparks fly, when you smile"

Nadine.

"Dennie, do you care to tell me what happened to waiting to bring Lennon out until I told my mum and explained everything? You were supposed to take them outside while I dealt with it." Harry's voice comes out pointed and hushed.

I follow him as he fills the kettle up with water from the tap.

"They slipped their hands out from mine, it's not my fault. And how was I to know you wanted me to bring them outside? Hmm? Maybe if you just talked to me—"

"So it's my fault then?" He cuts me off, slamming the kettle on the stovetop a little harder than he normally would have. Our eyes dart to where Anne sits at the table, but she's too focused on watching Andie and Lennon play.

"Oh it most certainly is your fault."

"I didn't know she was going to come. The least you could've done was wait until I called for you. Until I worked this out."

"No, you can't pin this on me. I'm not going to let you do that. I'm here to help Harry. That's it. It may have been my fault that they got away from me a little prematurely but it's not my fault you failed to disclose to your mother that you had a daughter." My voice seethes through my teeth.

There's no way he can spin this on me. I won't take the blame for something I'm not responsible for. I stopped putting up with that years ago.

"God, can you at least try to put yourself in my shoes for one second before you start judging me? You have no right to say anything about the way I live my life." Harry reaches above me into the cupboard, pulling out three mugs, setting them on the counter in front of me.

"I wasn't judging you! I'm just saying you can't blame me for how things happened. It's not my fault, Harry. I know you know that."

Harry stills at my words. He knows I'm right. Yet, it's so brief that I'm second guessing myself, not sure he even did.

"You're right. I'm sorry. It's not your fault and I shouldn't have blamed you." He inhales, as he grabs the different assortment of teas from above the other cupboard, his finger points at me and then his fridge, I'm assuming to get the cream. "But can you at least tell me why my daughter called you mama? Can you at least tell me that?" His voice seethes, a mixture of tranquility and anger dripping from his tone, and for a second I can't tell what one he's feeling.

That is, until he turned to face me and I saw he was clenching his jaw, physically holding himself back from saying anything else.

The question hangs in the air, making an environment so tense, so thick with a heavy silence, it might as well have materialized into a physical state.

And I felt sick. Guilty.

I don't know what I'd do if Andie called someone else her 'dad.' So, I do what Harry asked of me. For a second, I put myself in his shoes; I tried to understand where he was coming from.