02 - i forgot that you existed

"i forgot that you
sent me a clear message
taught me some hard lessons
i just forget what they were
it's all just a blur"

Nadine.

"Are you excited for your playdate, peach?" I make eye contact with Andie in the bathroom mirror. She stands in front of me, using a stool so she can see over the countertop as I brush her hair back.

Pigtails, she said. She wants pigtails. Nevermind that mama hasn't finished cleaning what she needs to before Lennon comes over.

"Yeah and 'm excited to show Lennie my room and all my toys and Millie!" The excitement radiating off her face might as well be contagious.

"Remember, this is your day," I part her hair, trying to ease her nerves, "so we can do whatever you and Lennie want, okay?"

"Even draw and watch TV at the same time?" I loop her hair into the hair tie, pulling one pig-tail close to her scalp.

"Yes, even draw and watch TV at the same time." Her jaw drops, and I match her face. She lets out a short giggle.

"I like when mommy's like this." She hums to herself as I loop the other half of her hair into another hair tie.

"What are you talking about? Mommy's always like this." I set the hairbrush down on the counter. "Alright, my peach, how do we like it? Did mommy do good?" She nods her head profusely. "Whew, okay good. That means I can do this," I grab her head in my hands and start peppering kisses all over her head.

"Mama," she giggles, "You're gonna mess it up." Her laughing doesn't stop. I press one last big kiss to her cheek before pulling away.

"I love you too much, peach." I take a deep breath, helping her hop down off the stool. "Are we happy with our outfit today?" Andie looks at the outfit she's wearing–that she chose herself.

She's wearing her favorite shirt up top, a baby pink Barbie shirt that used to be mine, with a pair of light wash capris jeans, Paw Patrol socks, and her light up Sketchers. She accessorized her outfit with her favorite beaded necklace and Princess Tiana bracelet. She even made me paint her nails purple last night.

"We are happy today." She nods her head after carefully inspecting every aspect of her outfit.

"And what about mama's outfit? Are we happy with her outfit today?" I hold my hands out to properly show off my outfit.

I'm wearing a long sleeved golden yellow and white horizontal thinly striped shirt, light wash jeans, with one rip at each knee, basic white socks and my red high-top Converse. I paired my usual gold jewelry–rings on my index and middle finger on my left hand, and on my thumb, middle and ring finger on my right, small pearl earrings, a gold necklace with Andie's birthstone on it, and two simple gold bracelets–with it.

I thought I looked great this morning but I kind of look like a modified Arthur, the more I think about it.

She scrunches her face in thought before nodding her head. "Mommy looks good today. But your hair." She drags out the 'r' in a whine.

"What about my hair?"

"Mommy looks pretty with hair down. Take it down." She gestures at the claw clip I have holding it all together.

"Okay, but only for you sweet peach. Can you help me?" I crouch down and face away from her. She pulls the clip out and I feel my hair fall onto my shoulders. "Better now?" I turn to face her.

She nods her head.

"Okay, now that we're all ready, why don't you," I boop her on the nose, "go finish cleaning your toys and mama will clean the living room?"