VIII

"EZZIE!" Ezra turned and braced herself as Jacob plowed into her, easily keeping balance as he hugged her tightly. "What're you doing here? You hate the beach."

"Courtesy of me." Angela said, Jacob brightening as he turned and hugged her next. "Nice to see you again."

"Where's my hug?" Bella asked with a smile, Jacob clearing his throat and looking off to the side.

"Can't find it. Anyways..."

"Okay, we would like our time with Ezra too, Jasper." Rosalie said as she knocked on his door, Jasper grumbling as he buried further into her arms.

"He said no." Ezra said as she continued to read her book, hearing Rosalie stomp off. Probably to tell the others she had been turned away like Edward. "If they send Emmett, he's not going to leave as easily."

"At least you know!" Emmett yelled from downstairs, Jasper groaning loudly. "You had her since she got here at six! It's ten!"

"Tell them to leave us alone." Jasper grumbled as he pushed his head in front of her book, Ezra smiling at him.

"It's been four hours. The only thing I have to keep me entertained is this book." Jasper gasped offendedly, Ezra rolling her eyes. "You literally only wanna lay on me."

"I missed you." He said as a defense, Ezra giving him a small kiss.

"They missed me too. Come on." Jasper groaned as she draggged him out of the bed, walking sluggishly behind her as they made their way downstairs. As soon as she sat on the couch he was sprawled on her, glaring at his family members. "At least I'm out here."

"She was gone for one hour, Jasper." Alice said, staring at him in disbelief.

"You guys took her shopping yesterday." Jasper tiredly mumbled, closing his eyes as he relaxed in Ezra's hold. She rubbed his back soothingly, lulling him into a sleep drunken state. "S'my turn."

"I don't think that's fair." Emmett scoffed as he went to grab Ezra, Jasper growling at him as he narrowed his eyes in warning. "...totally fair, you're right."

"Stop being mean." Ezra mumbled, slapping his back lightly. Jasper pouted and turned away from everyone, wishing he could snuggle deeper into Ezra's arms.

"He's like a cat." Alice said, tilting her head as her brows furrowed. "Weird..."

"How weird?" Ezra asked as she set her book down, looking over at them.

"He's being weirdly clingy." Emmett jabbed, crossing his arms as he leaned back in the couch. "We're not gonna run away with her or anything, just so you know."

"Don't care." Jasper said back, very at ease since he was surrounded by his mate's scent.

"He's tired." Edward said, pinching the bridge of his nose. Jasper's mind was only a slight buzz of some passing thoughts, otherwise completely silent. "He wants to fall asleep."

"But you guys can't." Ezra said, now looking down at Jasper in confusion. His eyes were closed, face soft and breathing slowing. Almost as if he was asleep. "Or...can?"

"You're affecting him!" Alice said as she jumped up and pointed at Ezra, a big smile on her face despite startling her. "You're making him more human! Somehow!"

"....huh?"

"When he had first talked to you, he said he felt like throwing up because he was nervous." Alice said, Ezra nodding as she tried to understand. "Then on the bus, whatever you had said made his heart throb! And now, he's sleeping!"

Rosalie shushed everyone suddenly, staring at Jasper as it got quiet. And then they heard the slow beat of his undead heart that matched Ezra's with a slight delay.