𝟢𝟢𝟩

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

 volume 1 | episode 7SIX FEET ABOVE┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐'can we rewind a second, floating?'└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

SIX FEET ABOVE
┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
'can we rewind a second, floating?'
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

"MAEVE? MAEVE TALK TO ME!"
she was no longer running. maeve was lying on the floor, wrapped in eddie's arms. it was hard to breathe, and her eyes were slowly adjusting to the light. she looked up at eddie, who was slightly panicking, and accepted his comfort as the realisation hit her. she just escaped death. tears started forming. "i'm here. i've got you. i'm not leaving." eddie held on tight, but not too tight that it was harming her. he made sure to keep her safe in her arms. she managed to catch her breath, and sat upright.
"the music. I heard music." she said. eddie looked confused, then quickly realised.
"the electricity started going all weird when you started floating." maeve raised her eyebrows. "whilst the electricity was going mad, the radio turned on and started playing I was made for lovin' you."
"it's a good song. but, umm, can we rewind a second, floating?" she asked, still in eddie's arms.
"yeah, chrissy did it too. why did you hear the music?" eddie and maeve sat in silence for a few minutes in an attempt to understand. maeve groaned as her head hurt with all the thoughts. "you okay?" he looked at her concerned again.
"yeah, just it hurts a bit more than you think when you get your mind invaded." she smiled. eddie did the same, but quickly looked troubled again. "are you okay? i'm sorry you had to see that again. I chose the wrong time to come back here." maeve apologised.
"I thought I lost you. and it felt like I was useless. I wanted to help, but I couldn't think of anything. I am not a hero, I know that, but I just wanted to help you." he said. "and, you're not bad company. at all. I actually love your company." he said, with a weak smile on his face. maeve raised her arms and wrapped eddie into a hug, just like he continued to do with her subconsciously.
"you're a hero eddie the banished. soon, it will all go away and you will be eddie the brave. let's just stay here for five. nothing bad can happen in five minutes."

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

EDDIE AND MAEVE SAT ON THE FLOOR together for a lot longer than five minutes, not really moving or talking. they had found themselves leaned up against the wall, just holding each other whilst they were asleep. maeve was surrounded by eddie's arms, his chin resting gently on her head as she leaned the side of her face into his chest. maeve jolted awake again due to a nightmare and eddie instantly woke up and calmed her. one arm was relaxed, resting on her waist, and the other was slowly stroking her hair. maeve listened to his heartbeat and closed her eyes again.
"MAEVE?" a voice echoed around the room.
"you heard that too right?" eddie asked. maeve sat up, annoyed that the warmth of eddie had disappeared.
"MAEVE? I SWEAR TO GOD, PLEASE SAY YOU'RE ALIVE!"
"is that henderson?" eddie scanned the room but no sign of the kid. maeve quickly remembered, and grabbed the walkie that was hidden underneath the table. she must've dropped it during the chaos of the whole vecna / almost dying situation.
"dustin? i'm alive. what's wrong?" she asked.
"IT'S MAX! SHE'S UNDER ATTACK. WE NEED YOU HERE ASAP!" the kid screamed into the walkie.
"okay, where is 'here'?" maeve looked at eddie who had stood up from their spot and walked over.
"THE GRAVEYARD! JUST GET HERE, PLEASE!"
"okay, that's close. i'll be there as soon as possible, dustin." she turned to eddie. "i'll be back." maeve shrugged and smiled before turning towards the door.
"maeve?" eddie said. maeve glanced back. "I need to say this before anything else goes wrong." she looked at him expectantly. "I-uh, yeah, I needed to... oh, yeah." he stammered and quickly ran to the side of the room. he flicked through the cassette tapes. "this is I was made for lovin' you. on tape. seeing as you like it so much. stay safe." eddie passed her the tape and gave her a sincere smile.
"was there anything else you needed to say?" she said. eddie stood there for a few seconds with his mouth open, before closing it and shaking his head.
"nah, that was it."

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

WHEN MAEVE FINALLY FOUND STEVE'S car, it had only been a few minutes as she broke many speeding limits and potentially knocked over a mailbox or two. she parked right behind steve, and was about to race out to max, before another voice could be heard from the walkie.
"HELLO? DOES ANYONE COPY?" robin shouted into the walkie.
"I copy! I copy, robin!" maeve said, diving for the walkie.
"MUSIC! YOU NEED TO PLAY HER FAVOURITE SONG. SOMETHING ABOUT IT REACHING PARTS OF THE BRAIN, WE'LL EXPLAIN LATER JUST GET MAX TO LISTEN TO HER FAVOURITE SONG!" robin explained. everything suddenly clicked into place as she realised what saved her. maeve grabbed her cassette player and headphones, and reached into steve's car to grab the cassette tapes max carried with her when she walked the corridors. maeve ran as fast as she could to the group.
"what is max's favourite song?" she said, dumping the tapes on the ground in front of the three, mainly looking at lucas. "no time for questions, what's her favourite song?!" maeve screamed. the three started going through the tapes as quickly as possible, before choosing running up that hill. they placed the headphones on max and began playing the song.

» [𝗋𝗎𝗇𝗇𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗎𝗉 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝗁𝗂𝗅𝗅 (𝖺 𝖽𝖾𝖺𝗅 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝗀𝗈𝖽)] «
⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻

the music was on its highest setting, but max still began to float, like maeve, like chrissy. maeve understood what eddie meant by feeling useless, there was nothing to do except wish on everything that max escapes. the boys screamed her name in hopes of getting her back, but there was nothing to do but wait. maeve kept thinking about the music and memories that allowed her to escape. eddie saved her.
"max!" they continued to scream, until she gasped and dropped back down. lucas grabbed onto her just as eddie did.
'is this what we looked like?' maeve thought to herself. the two looked as though they were so happy to be in each other's arms. in love with the idea that after the brush with death, they have each other. maeve thought back to eddie holding her as if he'd lose her if he let go. 'surely not?'
"maeve, you okay?" steve asked as lucas reassured max. maeve nodded. 'that's a thought for another time. right now, it's about the fact we saved max.'

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧