Chapter 44: Public Intertwinement

The eerie night showcased its darkest colors, the moon hiding behind a cloud as the residual heat crept through the window. No wind blew to calm the warmth, sending an unwelcome wave of hotness to suffocate anyone who lay awake.

The young couple rested silently underneath the thin fabric of the sheet, having taken off the larger blankets to attempt comfort in the dreaded summer air.

The man lay on his back, his forearm resting over his eyes as his body temperature continued to rise. The sheet rested loosely over his chest, half pushed off as well as his knee poking off the side of the bed.

Shifting around, the bed creaked softly as the girl flipped herself over, now facing the middle, her eyes closed.

Levi's eyes scanned over her resting face after pulling his arm away, releasing a sigh as he thought about what she had been through.

(Y/n)'s warm hand came up and rubbed against her temple, groaning quietly, her eyes opening as she noticed the man watching her.

"Is your room always this hot?" She complained, watching as he released a small puff of air from his nose, turning his eyes to the ceiling.

The room fell quiet until the slow sound of Levi exhaling, his voice tired and drained as he spoke, "(Y/n)?"

"Mhm?" She hummed back, pushing her leg to a new location, feeling unsatisfied when it wasn't the cold she hoped for.

"You don't look like a psychopath." He said, the girls eyes flickering up to him, "I don't know where you got that idea from, but you don't look like a psychopath. Alright?" He remembered what she said earlier.

Her eyes widened slightly as she listened to the man, his head turning to look at her.

"In fact, your pretty god damn attractive if you ask me. So don't go around saying all that bullshit." Levi stated, his voice husky, "Now get some sleep."

Turning away from her, he lay on his side, knowing she was still watching him.

After a moment, behind himself he could hear the sheets move, feeling the pressure of the bed dip down slightly just behind him. Soon he felt her press a soft kiss to his head. Though before he knew it she was gone, back to her position before, closing her eyes and releasing a breath.

A few weeks later, around 9am.

The stoic man watched as his squad sparred, even though it had been several weeks sense the pair went public, it was as if nothing had changed. Other then the fact that the two were more often seen walking around together and (Y/n) going into Levi's office at any hour, nothing much had changed. They both still trained, worked and lived per usual, just now the girl started to spend the night with her captain.

Though they hadn't ever been publicly affectionate, never kissing, hugging or even holding hands around others, still just keeping it very low key. Neither of them were huge fans of public affection.

Quickly glancing down at the ground and back up again, he took a step back to follow the shade of the tree he stood under. Levi's eyes scanned the squad, hearing the whines and grunts coming from Cora as she lost her battle to Gunther. Beside them, Eld and Petra fought evenly, throwing punches and kicks.

Hearing a branch break from behind him, Levi tilted his head to spot his blond commander nearing him, soon coming to a stop beside the shorter man.

Both of them watched as the squad exercised, listening to the sounds of the sparring along with the bird calls from above.

"I wanted to apologize to you." Erwin said suddenly, causing Levi's brows to dip in confusion and glance over. "For being so quick to blame you. I know that you didn't do anything to her."