Chapter 18: Small moments

Tw/Cw mentions of rape/sexual assault.

That same night-

The girl sat on the edge of her bed quietly, sighing at the past few nights chaos. She slowly ran a hand over her face, an overwhelming feeling of exhaustion flowing through her. The wind pressed up lightly against the cold glass of her window, the candle flickering softly.

As she listened to the quiet sounds of the night, a soft knock tapped lightly on her door. At first she wasn't sure if it was her door or a nearby room, but when it knocked again, she slowly pulled herself up. Wincing slightly and lightly putting her hand over her side where the stitches were healing.

As she moved closer to the door, the soft click of it unlocking and then the creaking of it opening filled her ears, she was meet by none other then Matthew himself. Her expression dropped slightly, sighing before stepping aside and creating an opening for him. The boy awkwardly stepped in, nodding his head at her.

Once she closed the door, she turned to face him, crossing her arms and cocking an eyebrow at him.

Matthew hesitated slightly, seeming to search for the right words before shyly saying, "Sorry..."

The girl kept watching him in silence, a bored expression on her face.

"I genuinely thought he touched you... It's true I also resent the guy, but I also thought he had raped you. I wasn't making it up, I swear..." He trailed off, talking at almost a whisper.

(Y/n) released a sigh, wondering over and sitting on her bed again before motioning to the empty spot next to her with her head.

Soon Matthew quietly joined her before continuing on, "I've known you for how long now? More then a few years, that's for sure. You mean a lot to me, and I feel like I need to keep you safe. So when I walked in that cave to see you naked with a man... I dunno... but my mind immediately jumped to blaming him, I wanted to keep you safe. I just- I don't know but then things just started to go downhill... I told Erwin and then Levi obviously got pissed about it, which is fair... but I was just so confused and frustrated the whole time my only focus was to keep him away from you and I blinded myself of the truth... and for that, I'm really sorry." Matthew rambled, keeping his gaze down into his hands which fiddled around nervously.

A piercing silence fell between the two, the girl collecting her thoughts before eventually speaking, "Okay. But... Matthew, why didn't you just ask me?"

"I don't know... I don't know." He repeated slowly and unsure of his own words.

Another silence fell between the pair, then (Y/n) chuckled slightly then spoke again, "Yeah well, you got yourself booted from the squad."

Matthew chuckled lightly, nodding his head softly, "Yeah."

"To be honest I don't think Captain ever plans on inviting you back, you where kinda an asshole to him." She laughed.

"Yeah, I don't think so either... but that's alright I don't need that angry midget anyways." He preached, a small chuckle being earned from the girl.

The two sat quietly for another moment, "Next time, just talk to me. Don't make false assumptions, alright?" (Y/n) asked lightly.

Matthew nodded his head before looking up at her and speaking softly with a light smile, "Sounds good."

Time skip, several months later, late autumn.

A quick few months had passed from the time Captain Levi and his recruit got stuck in Titan territory. For a while, they had been the talk of the town, rumors being spread about a secret relationship and the haunting tales Matthew had told. Though thankfully those had all been put to rest now, although Hange still believed Levi had a "little crush".