Chapter 30: Sensitive Subjects

TW/CW: Mentions of rape, abuse and alcohol overdosage.

About a week later
"Why are we walking? This is taking so long!" Cora groaned, throwing her head back, her hair bouncing along to her horses rhythm.

The whole of Levi squad walked calmly along open fields inside of wall Maria, their horses enjoying the calmness of this adventure compared to the usual rush.

"Tch, because some of you brats need to learn patience." Their captain scowled.

"In other words, shortie's back hurts after his little tumble and doesn't wanna go faster because he's to old and sore." Oluo mocked, rolling his eyes.

Levi's gaze shifted up from this comment, then slowly turned until he was looking at the troublesome boy, his brows furrowed, "The hell did you just say?"

"I would say it was a bit more then a 'tumble' you idiot." Petra scoffed, swatting the back of her comrades head.

Looking back at Petra with an annoyed look, Oluo rubbed his head slightly.

"Plus we've got to watch out for (Y/n), she took a pretty hard hit too." Gunther added, smiling shyly to the girl.

Levi's eyes traced over to (Y/n) who rode a few feet to the side of Gunther, watching as a slight blush appeared on the man's face, Levi's eyebrows dipped down slightly.

(Y/n) noticed the red tint on his face as well, smiling tightly before awkwardly turning her head away. As she looked to her right, her eyes traced up to her captains, meeting his gaze, her face softened as a small smile appeared at the sight of his ticked off face.

She chuckled lightly as he look forward again, rolling his eyes faintly as he shook his head softly.

"Alright, listen up." Levi spoke out, turning his horse around to look at his squad.

Coming to a halt, the group stopped in a circle around their captain.

"Todays exercise is about equine agility and stamina, meaning this is an activity for both you and your horse. You've noticed I had you tack up in English styled gear today, this equipment makes it easier to jump and maneuver around quicker, plus it's lighter. Though comparatively, the western saddle scores higher in the long distance equation, but this is just good practice." He paused, turning his horse sideways.

"Down this trail is a course I've created, cross country style. You will ride your horse following the yellow flags and ribbons along the path, jump any obstacles marked by cones. You'll follow this loop until you return back here, should take you about two hours, don't gallop the whole way, make sure to use your stamina, understood?" Levi finished, looking around his group with a bored expression.

A course of nods and mumbles of agreement went around, signally they understood.

"Good, Oluo your first, then Petra, Gunther, Eld, Cora and (Y/n), stagger yourselves out." Their captain finished, turning his dark gelding around and walking away from the entrance.

"You hear that? Captain wants me to go first, I guess we know his favorite now don't we?" Oluo smirked, collecting his reins and walking his horse to the entrance.

"Yeah that or he was sick of having you around and wanted to get rid of you fastest." Petra shrugged casually.

With an annoyed look and a click of his tongue, Oluo rode his horse into the forest, following the flags.

...

Levi watched as Cora trotted her horse into the tall trees, quickly picking up a canter as she looked deeper into the thick shrub. His gaze shifted over to the young girl as she gathered up her reins, preparing to go.