Chapter 12: First expedition

"If your not already mounted, get your lazy ass off the ground and onto your horse. Let's go." Levi shouted down the isle of the barn, his low voice echoing through everyone's thoughts.

For most, this was just another expedition, an easy one at that. Their only goal is to set up a base, and if they have time, help Hange capture a Titian. The spot Erwin plans to set up is about a two hour ride from the outer wall, so this would be an all day mission, though they should be back before sunset.

Guiding her horse over towards the rest of the group, (Y/n) watched as Matthew mounted his horse.

The girl could feel her mare dancing with anticipation under her, the gorgeous morgan full of energy, "Easy." She mumbled, running her hand down the horses muscular neck.

Her previous mare whom Thomas had given her, wasn't suited for an expedition. That horse wouldn't have made it out alive, she didn't have enough strength mentally or physically to be suited for the job. Of course, (Y/n) hoped to train her for the future so the spotted mare rested silently in a stall back in the barn. However for this mission, she was given a slightly more experienced horse, a bay mare called Marley.

Matthew had decided to sell his old gelding for a better suited horse a few weeks prior, so he currently sat on his new horse, a chestnut gelding with a pair of beautiful blue eyes and some white socks rising all the way to his knees and hocks.

Glancing around, (Y/n) took a look at her squad, everyone was present. Their captain rode up and stood to (Y/n)'s left, her eyes instantly falling onto the large stallions head. She instantly remembered selling that dark horse to him, the first time she meet him, and when he fell off. The girl couldn't help but chuckle lightly at the memory.

The grey eyed man picked up on her laugh, scowling at her, "What's so funny (L/n)?"

"Don't worry about it." She smirked, the man only replying in a light scoff.

"Is everyone ready to go? I don't feel like carrying anyone back, so make sure your gear is all secure and working now." Levi stated to the group, looking at each of the members.

After everyone quietly checked the gear and gave a small signal of agreement, they all set off towards the large group of scouts, all waiting eagerly at the gate. Some groups had carriages, filled with supply's for setting up the base. However, Levi's squad had been assigned to protect, meaning they were in charge of keeping the supply's and groups safe from incoming titans.

Both (Y/n) and Matthew had been working hard in training, though neither of them had actually come in contact with a Titan.

"All squads prepare!" Erwin could be heard, shouting at the top of his lungs from the head of the crowd.

Hooves clipped on the hard cobblestone, leather squeaking and metal clinking together as everyone's hearts thumped just a little harder, preparing to advance. The sky showed a set of dark clouds, blocking out the blue, just a grey overcast with an unsettling breeze, though the atmosphere was dead silent as no one said a word.

Erwin must have given a signal, as the large bell started to chime, echoing throughout the walls. The scraping and low rumbling as the gate was pulled up, slowly revealing the outside land.

"Let the 39th expedition outside the walls commence, all scouts, move out!" Erwin ordered, signaling the start as everyone rode out.

Marley was quick to toss her head and snort at the excitement, dancing underneath (Y/n) as she steered the mare to the gate. Of course, Marley was quick to pin her ears as nearby horses crammed next her her, everyone trying to fit. To her left, Levi rode on his horse, and to her right, Matthew.