Chapter 19: One cape, Two cups

A few weeks after Cora's arrival.

The dining hall bells ring loudly, announcing to everyone the dinner hour had started and meals would be severed until 7:50. Soft winds blew peacefully, scattering the dry autumn leaves around. The sound of metal horse shoes clipping on the ground filled everyone's ears as Levi's squad rode on the cobble stone rode, riding peacefully to the barn after a long day of training. This particular day had been focused on strength training, meaning lots of pushing yourself and exercises. Everyone in the squad was in dire need of a shower and clean clothing, dirt and sweat stained the clothing. Almost everyone had taken off the thick green cloak and the scouts jacket, hoping to shed as many layers as possible.

Cora had rode ahead of the group, exited for her dinner. Her, Petra and Uluo had joined her, trotting ahead and possibly already in the dining hall. This just left (Y/n), Gunter, Eld and everyone's captain, the group of four peacefully made their way back to the barn. Quietly untacking and putting the horses away, checking for water and food quickly. Everyone worked silently, the sounds of shuffling and munching as the horses enjoyed the hay. Birds chirping cheerfully outside and other scouts walking past the barn to head to the dining hall. Eld and Gunter had finished up at the same time, leaving together to grab their dinner. Lifting up the saddle from the wooden saddle stand, the girl leaned it on her hip while taking the bridle in her other hand, carrying them over to the tack room.

Upon entering she was hit with the scent of dust and leather, along with fresh hay from the room above which stored all of the barns feed. Placing her saddle on the rack, she hung her bridle on the hook next to it. Taking the saddle pad and placing it upside down to let it dry after being on the sweaty horse, then soon making her way back out. As she did, she passed her captain who was also bringing his load of gear into the room. They made eye contact briefly before he had passed her to put away his tack.

Wondering over to her horses stall, she had picked up a carrot and broken it in half, offering one piece to her mare Marley who had worked hard today. The gentle creature accepted the offer happily and munched on the treat before biting into the second piece. Once the horse had finished her treat, she pushed her nose into the girls hand to sniff for another, but disappointed when she didn't she quickly moved back to her hay.

(Y/n) chucked lightly before patting the mares shoulder and leaving the stall, closing the door behind herself and latching it. The old wooden door squeaked on the rails as it shut, echoing down the barn. This place reminded the girl of her barn at Thomas's, her heart ached to go back and see them.

Sighing lightly, she turned and begun to walk out of the barn. The gravel below her feet crunched as she walked along the path, it was a good few minute walk until she would reach the main building. The trees surrounding her provided shade, the sounds of nature filling up the atmosphere.

As she had just left the barn, she could hear the sound of footsteps behind her, assuming her captain had just exited the barn to.

She continued to walk when she heard him call out for her, "(L/n)."

As she turned around, she saw he had already caught up with her, "Yeah?"

"Keep walking." He ordered, his voice quieter then usual.

Furrowing her eyebrows she grew confused, "What?"

"Keep walking." He said more clearly and orderly, to his command she continued to walk.

Glancing back at him she watched as his eyes darted around, taking a look at the people around them. He had turned his head to see if anyone was behind them before he turned to look at her again. A large group of people walked nearby and another just in front of them.