Ride to Os Alta

After letting go of his Grip on Aleeza, the stars disappeared. The Darkling was forced to catch Aleeza and lean her back against the couch-apparently she had fainted. He called for a healer, somewhat regretting forcing her to use her power. But he didn't care, it was worth it, and besides, he would have plenty of time to apologize later. His plan was going splendidly.

She could actually command the volcra-it was far better than he had hoped. There was a reason Baghra felt the need to hide her from him, she was perfect for his plan.

"Sir, the Drüskelle has escaped," Ivan said.

"What?" he hissed. The Darkling was furious at the audacity. Who could let him escape? he wondered, afraid he already knew the answer. "How?" he asked.

"He must have just gotten off the skiff and walked away through the confusion General."

The Darkling let out a frustrated grunt. The Drüskelle surely would make contact with his fellow scoundrels and send an assassination party out. Aleeza was far too important, their enemies all wanted her dead now.

"Prepare my carriage. We leave for the little palace immediately." The Darkling announced.

༶•┈┈ ♛ ┈┈•༶

Aleeza woke up and still had a headache.

"Ahh, you're awake. Are you feeling alright now?" Aleeza glanced up and saw The Darkling had said it to her. They were alone in his black carriage traveling back to the little palace.

"I guess," she replied. She knew she wasn't though. Her mind was still numb, and she couldn't think clearly.

"What happened to Matthias?" she blurted out.

"Who?" The Darkling asked.

Aleeza realized her mistake, "No one." she mumbled.

The Darkling picked up on the fact she still wasn't fully recovered yet and decided he could use it to get some information out of her.

He figured 'Matthias' must have been the Drüskelle scum she was so obsessed with. "It seems our Drüskelle prisoner was able to simply walk away through the confusion of everything." He said, trying to gauge her reaction.

Aleeza was relieved he was okay. She hoped that he got somewhere safe and wouldn't be captured again.

"Tell me, why do you care for the Drüskelle Aleeza?" The Darkling tried to ask as calmly as he could. He was furious at her actions.

"He was Drüskelle, I was Grisha. I was his prisoner. I couldn't fight him off with either my powers or nonexistent fighting skills." Aleeza replied as she'd practiced.

"Then tell me, why would you set him loose on the skiff?" The Darkling asked, seeing through her lies.

Aleeza tried to think, but her headache made it incredibly difficult. She could try coming up with some way to bend the story, tell a half-truth. Only the good parts of her and Matthias' story and-

"The truth, Aleeza. You don't have to think about it." His voice cut through the air like glass.

"I-" Aleeza started. She met The Darkling's piercing gaze and knew she had to tell the truth. "I was captured by Drüskelle, put on a ship. It was pretty bad; they didn't feed us or anything. I thought I would die of starvation before I-we even got to Fjerda until Matthias, one of the Drüskelle, came down with some scraps of food. I was cautious at first, but he proved it wasn't poison and so I ate it..."

"The Fjerdan couldn't simply give you food," The Darkling spat, "what was his reason?"

Aleeza shrugged. "After I ate, he tried to get some information out of me, but I refused to tell him. And he stormed out of there." Aleeza glanced at The Darkling, he seemed content with her response, so she continued. "Then the ship crashed, it was raining, it was cold, and even my power didn't do much to keep me warm.-"