Chapter 26 - Last Day

TW: Slight mentions of death

No one's POV

"Today, we acknowledge a terrible loss." none other than Professor Dumbledore started saying. He was sitting on a large chair at the podium, which was located at the very front of the great hall. All of the Professor's and students gathered at this place today, mourning for the loss of Cedric Diggory that everyone knew and loved. Some more than others.

The headmaster continued his speech, but Katianne didn't listen to most of it. She was so clouded by sadness and anger, that not a word he said slipped into her mind. She did, however, hear Dumbledore say, "Cedric Diggory was murdered, by Lord Voldemort."

Voldemort. That name itself disgusted her. She used to be scared of that name too, like practically all of her peers. She always thought she wasn't as brave as her brother, Harry, seeing as he doesn't mind saying the name. It was just a name to him.

After all that has happened, all that she has lost, a whisper of this disgraceful name makes her blood boil. And, like her brother, she wasn't afraid of this simple name anymore. She no longer wants to be. After all that has happened, she wanted nothing more to cause pain to the evil wizard, just like he did her.

Katianne felt tears starting to build up in her eyes again, but refused to let them out, forcing them back down. She looked to her left to locate Elliot with puffy red eyes as tears were silently streaming down his cheeks. The brunette girl decided to hold his hand, as a kind gesture, trying to comfort him, seeing as he needed it so much more than she did.

Katianne then looked up, scanning the room, locating the sad faces of others. And this made her even more mad.

None of these people really knew Cedric for who he was. Even his friends. None of these people actually saw the real him, deep inside. Not like she did. Katianne felt that... these people did not deserve to weep and cry over him. Half these people only heard of him because he was popular. They barely knew him!

But the brunette started to calm down, catching the grey eyes of a certain blonde Slytherin. Draco was staring straight at her, not even looking away after she had caught him. Staring into his eyes, she saw actual feelings in them. Feelings Draco wouldn't dare express to anyone. Well, anyone but her.

Katianne could locate the sympathy he had for her, and a touch of pity. She could see the sadness. Not sadness for himself, but sadness for her. She could see the small reassuring smile on his face, as if asking if she was ok.

All of this, all of these signs, showed that he cared. Which is why Katianne returned the small smile, feeling just a bit happy. Well, the happiest she has felt since what has happened.

Time skip

Katianne's POV

I was in my dorm, packing, since it was the end of the year. All of my roommates weren't there, deciding that it was still too early to pack. But I had nothing better to do. I had to distract myself. Distract myself from this horrible feeling.

In the middle of packing, I found the sunflowers Cedric got me. The same ones he used to ask me to go to the Yule Ball with him. He casted a spell on it to make it live longer, since he knew I hate when flowers die so fast. He knew every small detail of me. He was the love of my life. And now... he's gone.

What if I never find someone like that again? Someone that is willing to make small gestures for me? Someone who is always there for me, to listen to every word I have to say? What if he is the only love I will ever find?

All of these thoughts came to an end when I heard someone come into the room. "I never liked these curtains. Set them on fire in my fourth year. By accident of course." Professor Dumbledore started saying when he walked into my dorm, leading to me quickly dropping the sunflowers from shock.

"Those are some beautiful flowers, Katianne. Where did you get them?" Dumbledore asked. "U- uhm, Cedric got them for me." I stammered, looking down as I replayed the memory in my head. "You should know, I am terribly sorry. For putting harm in yours, and in Mr. Diggory's way. I know you two were close." I didn't know how to respond, so I just nodded.

I slowly went down to pick up the flowers, setting them on the bed before I thought of something that might just help him. "Professor, when I was in the graveyard there was a moment... uhm... when Voldemort's wand and mine, sort of connected." I explained, the memory of that night flashing into my mind, sending chills down my spine.

The headmaster looked dumbfounded, muttering something that I could barely hear, but I managed to pick up, "Priori Incantatem." I furrowed my eyebrows, unfamiliar with the term, as Professor Dumbledore stood from where he sat on the bed. "You saw your parents that night, didn't you? They reappeared." The white haired Professor asked out of nowhere.

I nodded, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion on where this conversation was going. "No spell can reawaken the dead, Katianne. I trust you know that. Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy." He said, leading to me looking down.

"But remember this, you have friends here. Family. You are not alone." Dumbledore reassured me, setting both of his hands on my shoulders and staring straight into my eyes as he said this. I nodded, yet again, not sure how to answer. A sudden familiar voice interrupted us. "Sorry, am I interrupting?"

Both Dumbledore and I looked towards the entrance of my dorm to locate Draco standing there. "No, of course not. Katianne and I had just finished. Well, I ought to get back to my work. Have a nice holiday, both of you." And with that, Dumbledore left, making sure to wink at me right before, leaving the blonde boy and I alone.

I hurried back into packing straight after, not wanting awkwardness to fall upon us. Though, Draco didn't say anything. He just stood there. "Why are you here?" I questioned, breaking the silence. "Well, I wanted to check up on you. I mean, that's what friends do." He stated. I froze, dropping the things out of my hands. "What?" Draco quizzed.

"We're friends?" I asked, a shocked look masked on my face. "Well... yeah, of course we are." He responded. A smile creeped up to my face. As most may know, I didn't have a lot of friends. In fact, I only have one, not including my brother.

Well at least I know I accomplished something this year. I became friends with the one boy I thought I would never even get close to. Yes, traumatic things may have happened this year. But I had so much more fun this year compared to any other. I broke out of my bubble, succeeding in getting new friendships, and even finding love. I wonder what else I can do.

I guess the future will tell.

1236 words