Chapter 21 - Second Task Pt. 2

TW: Very slight swearing and slight mentions of injuries

No one's POV

Soon enough, Cedric came, casting a spell onto the seaweed tied around his younger brother's left ankle, freeing him and bringing him up to shore. Next to arrive was the other Potter twin. She noticed the frozen people. Her eyes landed on the blonde Slytherin, slightly confused on why he was there.

She glided to Draco, untangling the seaweed. The blue eyed girl heard the Merpeople squeal and scurry away. She turned around due to curiosity, wanting to know what caused them to be so scared.

She caught sight of a shark swimming her way. Out of instinct, she dodged. After the 'shark' swam past her, the Slytherin girl saw his body did not match a shark at all. That's when she realised it was just Krum and calmed down.

He immediately snapped Hermione's seaweed with his head, bringing her to shore. After all of  this, there were only two frozen people left, Malfoy and Fleur's sister. The Potter girl held onto the blonde's arm, pausing for a moment to think of a way to save both of them.

She looked around and didn't spot any Merpeople nearby and casted a spell at the Beauxbatons girls seaweed, leading to it breaking apart.

Above water, the clock was ticking, showing that Katianne didn't have a long time left. Harry emerged from the water, holding onto Ron, being the first to arrive at shore. 

"Let's get down below." Dumbledore suggested, walking down the stairs to be closer to the water, followed by Barty Crouch.

After a few seconds, the older Diggory came out of the water holding onto his brother tightly and swimming to the land. Right after them was Viktor and Hermione. The Durmstrang boy's face morphed back into his original self.

A lot of people started cheering after these three made it back to shore. The Durmstrang pupils were even chanting his name. "KRUM! KRUM! KRUM!" The older Delacour's face was filled with worry, not seeing her sister anywhere. Katianne was her last hope.

Now back underwater, Katia is holding the blonde Slytherin with her right arm while holding the younger Delacour girl with her left. The Merpeople haven't taken notice of her yet, which is a relief. Suddenly, something grabbed onto her leg. Sh*t.

Katianne's POV

I was so close to saving those two until some creatures came out of nowhere and attacked me. I pushed the two frozen people up so they could be rescued while I was still being assaulted by these octopus looking monsters.

I held onto the gill that was on my neck, which was fading away since the time is almost up. After moments of trying to get those animals off of me, I gave up and just used a spell. All of them quickly pushed away and I heard a quiet sound of chiming, assuming that it is the clock due to time being up.

Muffled coughing of the two people I just saved filled my ears. I could hear cheering and someone speaking a different language, which I'm guessing is French.

I was sinking. I couldn't breathe. My gills have completely vanished and the fins have turned back to just normal fingers and toes. I was about to shut my eyes until I used the last bit of energy I had to get my wand and cast a spell.

"Ascendio!" I flew through the water like a rocket ship and landed on a hard surface. "Katianne!" Dumbledore exclaimed, kneeling down next to me. I was coughing and spitting out water and sat up on the floor. "You're alright. You're alright." The headmaster then said as Elliot put a towel around my shoulders.

"Go get her another towel!" Ell instructed. "I want all the judges over here now." Dumbledore then shouted, walking away.

All of a sudden, Fleur kneeled in front of me. "You saved her, even though she wasn't yours to save. My little sister!" She grabbed my face, kissing me on both sides of my cheeks, then patting my head.

"Katianne!" I looked up to see my brother. "Harry." I jokingly responded, still panting. He quickly crouched down to my left, taking a towel and wrapping it tighter around me. I leaned away slightly and winced.

"Are you alright? You must be freezing." He took the towel that was on his shoulders and wrapped it around me, on top of the other one I had. "I think you did great." He told me while I rolled my eyes at him. "I finished last, Harry." I stated the obvious. "Next to last. Fleur never got past Grindylows." I smiled slightly. At least I didn't lose completely.

Soon enough Cedric was by my side. He stared at me for a second before pulling me into a long, passionate kiss. "Ew, get a room, you two." Malfoy sneered. "Agh!" I grimaced as I felt the boy with golden hair cup my cheeks.

"Sorry, are you hurt?" He worriedly quizzed and I just stared at him. "No, I'm not. These are just random marks on my skin." He rolled his eyes at my sarcastic response.

After trying to catch my breath for a little while more, I finally took notice of the place around me. People were cheering my name. I never got this much attention before, well, other than during the first task. People usually are more focused on my twin. I kinda like the attention.

"ATTENTION!" Dumbledore screeched, leading to a lot of people covering their ears due to how loud it was. "The winner is... Mr. Potter!" My brother stood up, his friends cheering him on while I gave him a big smile.

"However, seeing as Ms. Potter would have finished first had it not been for her determination to rescue not only Mr. Malfoy, but the others as well, we've agreed to award her second place! For outstanding moral fibre."

I raised my eyebrows and widened my eyes. The people around me cheered, especially my brother. I swear, even Draco was clapping.

No one's POV

"Moral fibre? Blimey, even when you go wrong, it turns out right." Ron joked, walking past Katianne while she returned with a huge grin. "Yeah, well done, moral fibre." George then said.

"Congratulations, Potter, fine achievement." Barty Crouch started saying. "Thank you." Katia murmured. "Well done, kid." Barty then praised. "See you at Hagrid's, Katia!" The youngest Weasley boy yelled from a distance.

"I'm sorry we haven't spoken, after all your story is one I've heard many times. Quite remarkable. Tragic, of course. To lose one's family. Never whole again, are we? Still, life goes on. And here we stand. I'm sure your parents would be very proud today, Potter." She gave the man a small smile, the thought of her parents being proud of her bringing her joy.

"Bartemius!" Someone shouted and both of them turned to look at whoever called out. "Not trying to lure Potter into one of the ministry's summer internships are we? Last person who went into the department of ministries never came out!" Mad-eye Moody exclaimed, looking mad as usual.

Barty walked closer to him, examining him before walking away, with the Professor watching him. "And they say I'm mad!" The man turned around once more and left. The one-eyed Professor took a big gulp of the drink right before limping away, leaving the Potter girl confused by this interaction.

1233 words