Chapter 17 - Yule Ball Pt. 2

TW: Mentions of smoking, alcohol and underage drinking

Katianne's POV

It is currently around ten pm. I have been waiting for Elliot for thirty minutes. I heard giggling from below, leading to me looking down to see my blonde best friend and Dean Thomas running around and having fun together. He looked so happy. I smiled to myself and sighed.

'One day, I'll be happy like that' I thought. They then went back to the castle, probably going to either of their dorms doing god knows what, which I try not to think about. I then looked up, admiring the stars.

The sound of footsteps filled my ears. I didn't take my eyes off the stars though. I was so mesmerised by the beauty of the sky, I completely ignored the fact that someone was coming. 

Where I live, in the muggle world, there is so much pollution. The days were mostly foggy. The night times were just a pitch black sky due to the street lights. I rarely got to enjoy a beautiful sight like this.

"Oh, hey, Potter." I finally snapped out of my daze and turned around to face the familiar blonde Slytherin. "Good evening, Malfoy." He knitted his eyebrows together and went to sit next to me, dangling his feet onto the edge while holding onto the side of the railing, copying my actions. 

"When were you so formal with greetings?" I scoffed at the grey eyed boy and turned away to look at the sky once again. We sat in silence for moments until I pulled out a cigarette from a small pocket in the dress. He stared at me as I did so. "Want one?" I asked, the cigarette between my lips. He hesitated before denying. "Suit yourself."

I lit up the cigarette and blew out a puff of smoke. "Why do you do that stuff anyway?" He questioned. I took it out with my right pointer and middle finger. "I- I don't know. There was a time. I got stressed. Decided to try one. And yeah. Now I can't stop." I looked down, fidgeting my dress with my free hand.

"You seemed like you had fun with Diggory." I smirked to myself, remembering tonight's events. "You and Parkinson too." He bitterly laughed before shaking his head. "Not really. I actually wanted to dance with someone else." I glanced at him for a second.

"And who is this someone else?" This time, he was the one who looked down at his lap. "Oh, well, no one important. But, how about we dance. Could make up for this 'someone else'." His dull grey eyes shimmered under the moonlight. They stared straight into mine. "Sure, why not." I took out a tissue to set the finished cigarette on.

We both stood and he set his right hand on my waist. When his skin touched the fabric of my dress, I felt tingles in that area. It was weird. I didn't feel that while I was with Cedric. I set my left hand on his shoulder and our other hands held each others.

For a few minutes we just danced. No making fun of each other. No snarky remarks. No talking. Just plain silence. The only sounds that could be heard was the faint music coming from the great hall and our steady breathing.

His warm breath fanned on my neck and made me feel butterflies in my stomach. The silence wasn't uncomfortable or awkward though. It actually felt very... peaceful. It felt safe.

"You look really beautiful in that dress." He whispered against my left ear. That caused my breath to hitch. "You- you look pretty good as well." I stammered. He pulled his face away from the area near my ear and gazed into my eyes. "Well I know that." He smirked as I lightly chuckled.

It was true though. I genuinely thought he looked good. The white button up shirt and black velvet dress robes. His white bowtie matched the shirt while the black velvet dress pants matched his robes.

His hair was styled how he usually would, except the bangs were brushed to the side. "So... you want some alcohol?" The boy with platinum blonde hair knitted his eyebrows together. "I got some fire whiskey hidden under my bed." His confused look turned into a soft smile. "Ok."

For the rest of the night, we just drank fire whiskey and talked. About all kinds of stuff. We talked about what we wanted to do in the future. Some hobbies we have. And just some general facts about ourselves. He even let me in on some of his home problems.

It arrived at three am and has been roughly five hours with not a single insult. It's as if we've been friends for years.

I didn't have high hopes that this would last until the morning though. We were both drunk anyways, we aren't thinking straight. But why ruin it. This is like a once in a lifetime chance to actually not argue with Malfoy and instead, get along. I should enjoy it while it lasts.

Draco's POV

I had the best time tonight with Potter then I had in a long time. I knew I was going to regret a lot of this when I would wake up in the morning. Starting from the massive hangover to the amount of tiredness I would have.

I talked to the brunette girl about some of my problems. AKA daddy issues, as some people who know about it like to call it. A big part of me knew that it wouldn't be the best choice to let her in on my life, but that small part, telling me it was fine to let loose once in a while somehow overpowered everything.

I let my feelings out. I even cried a bit. And I didn't even care. It felt nice telling someone about this, especially to her. I feel like I could trust her with this. At least that's what my gut is telling me.

She was great at comforting me. Her words are wise and soft. Honestly it made me see some potential in my father.

When we were dancing, her breath touched the side of my face. It gave me goosebumps. When I stared into her bright blue eyes that glistened under the stars, it sent shivers down my back.

Oh how much I wanted this moment to last forever. But everything good comes to an end right?

We sat on the edge of the tower once again, dangling our legs. We took off our shoes since they were extremely uncomfortable. I took off my robes and set an untangled bow tie around my neck. She took off her jewellery and kept it safely in her dress pocket.

Her beautiful brunette hair, darker due to it being night, has been freed from the bun it was in and is flowing through the soft breeze.

In a swift moment I caught her eye. It was like the whole world stopped. Only her and I are the one's moving. I could feel myself leaning in and so did she. Our face was barely 2 inches apart until the Slytherin girl cleared her throat and scooted away from me slightly.

"Uhm... it's getting late. And I'm really drunk right now. We should probably, uhm, go to bed." She stood up, shoving the tissue with now a few cigarettes wrapped in it into her left pocket.

Katia, yes we're on a first name basis now, bent down slightly to pick up her grey heels with her left pointer and middle finger. I went on my feet as well, resting the black velvet robes on my right hand, clutching onto my shoes as well.

Our walk back was silent. My drunk self got a boost of confidence and put an arm around the blue eyed girl next to me. She didn't push me away, which made me grin to myself.

Even though the night didn't end exactly how I thought it would have, I still had a great time. Our relationship right now is extremely confusing, or if we have one at all.

I would definitely overthink this after I wake up soon after, but at this moment, all I wanted is for her to be close to me. No matter what disagreements or fights we have in the future, all the complications will be worth it if that means I'll end up with her.

1407 words