15. 𝘿𝙚𝙖𝙧 𝘽𝙞𝙡𝙡𝙮

Y/n's POV

I had sat in the communications room as Owens described the layout to Hopper, Bob, and Mom. I sat with Mike and Will, looking out a window.

"Y/n, are you okay?" Mike asked me.

I felt my eyes well up with tears, "no...No, Mike. I'm not okay. We're trapped in Hawkins Lab, monsters are running around the place, all the doctors have been eaten alive, I might die, you might die, everyone's gonna die and I haven't been able to call my boyfriend to tell him I'm not gonna make it or Jonathan or anyone! So excuse me if I'm not okay..."

Mike went quiet as I looked back out the window. Then I saw Hopper take the map and go to the door but Bob stopped him.

"Hey, where're you going?" Bob asked.

"To reset the breakers." Hopper said.

"Okay, then what?"

"Then we get the hell out of here."

Bob shook his head, "No, then the power comes back on. If you wanna unlock the doors, you have to reboot the computer system, and then override the security codes with a manual input." Bob said.

"Fine, how do I do that?" Hopper asked worried now.

"You can't! Unless you know BASIC." Bob explained.

"I don't know what that means." Hopper said, more worried now.

"It's a computer programming language." Mike butted in.

"Teach it to me." Hopper said.

"Shall I teach you French while I'm at it, Jim? How about a little German?"

Bob turned around to look at Owens.

"How about you, doc? You speak BASIC?"

Owens shook his head, "No."

Bob looked to me and I shook my head.

"Okay, I got this. I got this." Bob said.

"No. Bob." Mom begged and hugged Bob.

"It's okay." He said and parted from her, "it's gonna be okay. Remember, Bob Newby, the superhero."

As he and Hopper left, I got anxious a bit. A few moments later, Hopper came back and closed the door. I gulped and sat there for a moment. I thought about Billy. If I died tonight, he'd never know how and he'd never know why. I would feel so guilty and I bet he would never be able to forgive himself, possibly. Hopper came to me and held my hand.

"Hey, Kiddo. It's gonna be okay, I promise."

I nod, "I'm scared, Hopper."

He gave me a smile, "I am too."

Then the power came back on moments later. I smiled and looked at Hopper.

"He made it."

Then the cameras came back in as Owens tapped the intercom to talk to Bob.

"Can you hear me?"

"Loud and clear, Doc. Can you hear me back?" Bob asked.

"We hear you, all right." Owens said back.

"All right, give me a minute." Bob had said, "open sesame."

Then we heard buzzing and doors began to unlock. I got up and went to a phone in the room and picked it up.

"What're you doing?" Mike asked.

"Giving my boyfriend a call." I said.

I dialed Billy's home number as it began to ring. It rang some more but then no answer.

"Hey! This is the Hargrove residence, I'm sorry to inform you that we cannot pick up the phone, so leave your message at the beep."

Then I heard the beep. I took in a deep breath.

"Hey—Dear, Billy...I know you might not get to this in a bit but...I wanted to let you know I love you and I will miss you...a lot. And if you don't hear back from me in an hour or two...or maybe a day...then you'll get the concept that I'm not around anymore...I have some things going on right now at the Lab and I can't get into it with you but all I can say is...is I love you more than you think...god, I'm tearing up!" I laugh, "well, I hope you know that I love you, I miss you, and if I don't end up coming home, you'll know why....and it's not your fault, Billy. Nothing has ever been your fault....."

I took in a deep breath and began to cry, "As your girlfriend...I remember the first time I saw you. I thought you were a douchebag if I hadn't already told you...But you're not and I love you for that. Or maybe you are and I don't know if *laughs* but give Max a big hug for me...and take out a smile to numb the stress and pain away...see you on the other side."

I hung up the phone and rubbed the bridge of my nose. I felt the tears stream down as I imagined Billy hearing this later if I was dead. I gotta make one more call. I picked the phone back up and dialed Olivia's number. I heard it ringing and then I heard it pick up.

"Hello?"
"Hey, Olivia. It's me—Y/n."
"Y/n! I've been trying to call you all day! Where have you been?"
"Busy. Sorry, listen...so I don't know how you're going to take this but I need you to listen—"
"No! You've been ghosting me all day, I need an answer—"
"Olivia...listen. I am at the Lab right now for Will and uhh....I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not picking up all day, I'm sorry for ditching you, I'm sorry for lying to you about Marty...this isn't your fault. Nothings ever been your fault, okay?"
"Y/n, what's this about...?"
"The point is...is that I love you as my best friend. My BFF...and I never want to lose you... if I did, I don't know how I'd be able to forgive myself. You have changed me, Olivia. You have made me feel like I've had people love me before other than my mom, my brothers, and the Chief of Police."
"Y/n Byers, what the hell is going on?"
"I thought that maybe if I gave you a call...it would sum things up...Olivia, I might die tonight and I wanted to call you."
"WHAT!? Y/N, YOU'RE GOING TO DIE?"
"I don't know...so I need you to promise me something. Don't forget about me, don't stop thinking about me, and don't you dare make a cheesy speech at my dumbass funeral."

She laughed on the other end and it made me laugh.

"Y/n, you made me laugh in the worst situation. But why do you think you're going to die?"
"I uhh...I can't explain right now. But ask my mom or Jonathan in a few days...or tomorrow. I don't care. But I hope you get that I love you. Tell Billy when you see him next time to answer my voicemail for him. He didn't pick up."
"No, Y/n. You are going to tell him because you're not going to die. Don't die because you'll make me depressed and Billy—you really want that to happen? Do you? You wanna make me and him depressed? Your whole family? Hopper? Your friends?"
"I have none besides you and Will anyways.."
"Y/n, I—"
"Bye, Olivia. Tell Billy for me."
"No, Y/n!—"

I hung up and cried even more. More guilt washed over me as I saw Hopper pick up Will and take a Walkie-Talkie from Owens. Hopper got his gun ready as everyone including me began to go. I went in front with another flashlight, next to Hopper as we then started walking down the hallway with Owen's directions.

.