ᴄᴀʟʟ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴍʏ ɴᴀᴍᴇ ; 🫂

Tᴀʟᴀ Mᴇsᴄᴀʟ | 19 : Fʀᴏᴍ Nᴏʀᴛʜ Cᴀʀᴏʟɪɴᴀ

________

Tala and I were always close growing up. My grandma and his grandma were close friends.

He's one of the few people I've know who didn't make fun of me for my skin color, or my height, or the extra fat on my skin.

He never made jokes about me when I went through puberty, nor did he belittle me in any way.

When we were younger I was taller than him, but as puberty hit he started growing.

I stopped growing in 10th grade, but HD never stopped. I was 5'8 at the time, and he has to be like 6'4 now.

He was always a soft spoken person. Not shy, but a man of few words. I remember when we first met like it was yesterday.

______________________

As a young girl I always used to go to Grandma Esther's house.
One day she sits me down after I eat
my breakfast.

"Monaé. Today a friend of mine is coming over with her grandson, so I want you to play nice and set up a few nick nacks to play with okay?

I nod and get out my crayons, I even put out a few of my barbie dolls to play with.

A bit later the doorbell rings and my grandma opens the door.

"Hey Nita! Welcome back. Oh is that Tala? Hi Tala how are you!"

Shortly after a few moments of dialog a woman and a little boy came inside the small living room.

The woman looks at me and smiles.

"Hello young lady, what's your name? My name is Mrs. Nita"

I look at my grandma for help and she encourages me to go on.

"My name is Monaé Marie Johnson."

I see a little boy hiding behind Mrs. Nita.

"Tala. Go say hello to Monaé"

The little boy shakes his head in defiance, and grips onto his grandmother's skirt.

I look up at my grandmother, looking at our hands that are held together.
I loosen our hands and go towards the young boy.