13

Parker plays the part well, the doting boyfriend. If I hadn't seen the abuse myself, if I didn't notice the slight flinch every time he reached over I might have believed his act. Her parents think he is great. To them his appearance in their world was one of a hero. The only other person who doesn't seem like his biggest fan is Max.

Max avoids him and treats him with marked indifference. He barely says thank you when Parker brings him a gift. Despite it being Sienna's birthday he brings the far better present for her brother but only knowing the family dynamic for all of two hours I can tell this doesn't have the desired affect. Max is unimpressed and Sienna loves her brother more than herself. So of course she wouldn't mind him getting the better present.

"So Tori, what are your plans for next year?" Rose asks handing out bread rolls and butter. I happily take one, digging in.

"I want to get a basketball scholarship for Duke or something but we will see. " I shrug, embaressed because I haven't got everything figure out just know I want to do basketball.

"How long have you been playing?" Sienna's dad is gentle, quiet and a little like a teddy bear he seems to radiate nice guy vibes. I can see why her.family is worth all the pain. They are hard not to love.

"Since I was 5." I smile at their incredulous looks "but I am average, nothing like Sienna and her dancing." I saw her in last year's talent show. She won it she was amazing. The attention diverted to Sienna and I see the red tinge appear in her upper cheeks but her face and eyes Don't give anything away.

"Yes Sienna has been dancingnher whole life," her mom says fondly " we couldn't stop her if we tried."

I grin at the thought of anyone trying to stop her but am interrupted by the one who does. His laugh sounds good humored but I can tell by how Siennas hand tightens around her fork that it is anything but.

"Hopefully you have a backup, the basketball industry is difficult to crack, especially the female side." He says it like the word female is gum on his shoe and I narrow my eyes at him before remembering I am supposed to be acting as well today.

"How's University going for you? You got into UCLA didn't you?" The slight tightening in his jaw shows I have got to him . A victory for me.

"It didn't work out."

Everyone glances with sympathy but I act oblivious. "Oh no, why? Was it too difficult?"

He narrows his eyes at me and I put on my best clueless face, it seems to work as he shrugs "No I just missed being at home." I want to barf because that is the lamest excuse ever.

"What are your plans for next year?" I ask Sienna but before she can reply Parker has thrown and arm around her shoulder and roughly squeezed her to his side.

"Sienna is going to the community College here so we can still be together." I want her parents to object but they stare on, happy as if Sienna herself declared that was her life passion. I want to knock over something. Knock out some teeth.

Forcing a smile I am quiet throughout the rest of lunch and when the cake is brought out and somehow Parker makes singing birthday to Sienna all about him I keep quiet.

But when she is carrying things inside and her parents are off somewhere else I Don have to pretend. He tries to keep up the act but I can tell it is slipping when I Don't reply to his 'cute ' comments.

"What's your deal anyway, never seen you in my life and suddenly you and Sienna are best friends? What you using her to get popular?" He thinks he has me all figured out. "You are just using her aren't you?"

"What about you?" I challenge leaning forward "I am sure you could choose anyone to date, why Sienna?"

"We are meant for each other."

"Bullshit." I deadpan and he frowns in my direction. I smirk at him trying to play it down because I do not need this to get too heated. "I Don't believe in soul mates or any of that shit."

"Stay away from her."

"What?"

"Stay away from Sienna."

"You can't tell me what to do."

"Look her-" He pauses in his angry rant when Rose appears at the table and offers coffee I nod, tell her I will help her and standing up, she leaves and I look at Parker.

"You listen Closely Parker. I Don't like you but that doesn't mean anything until you piss me off." I Don't tell him he already has instead I move off to the kitchen happy to help instead of sit another minute with Parker. He makes my skin crawl.

"What did you say to Parker?" Sienna asks accusingly after coming inside from saying goodbye to him.

"Nothing." I shrug as she narrows her eyes at him but she is stopped from pushing further when Max bounds into the room

"Can we go get Sophie now?"

"Sophie?" I question and max grins waving the leash in his hands.

"She is Sienna's dog, we have to leave her next door whenever Parker comes over because he just barks at him." Clearly Max is not impressed while I want to squeal.

"Aww I love dogs, can we go get her?" I plead as Sienna merely regards us both with a cool expression before nodding. I jump excitedly, following Max out the front door. It is all of two minutes before we are ringing their neighbors flower shaped doorbell. There is a bark and an old lady opens the door. She is smiling as the golden retriever I remember seeing in her post comes barreling past her. Tail waging.

She heads straight for Sienna and I think she is going to jump on her but with a flicker of her hand she haunts in front of her, sitting and looking expectantly as her. Sienna let's a small side grin slip before reaching down at petting her.

"Hey Soph, were you a good girl?"

"The best." The old lady speaks handing Max a empty bowl "ate all her lunch and lay in the sun."

"Thank you Mrs Deen."

"My pleasure dear, tell me when you need me to watch her again. We have such fun!"

Sienna nods and Mrs Deen disappears. Max waves the leash "can we take her on a walk?"

"Maybe later, I need to take Tori home."

Max looks at me accusingly and I shrug with a pout "I can wait." I tell Sienna "I Don't mind a walk."

Sienna rolls her eyes as of she should have expected it before nodding and Max yells in excitement, clipping Sophie with the leash and running off with her.

"Sorry." I mutter realising I just stuffed with her plans. "He is darn too cute to say no to."

"I know." We walk in silence but it isn't a bad silence. I look at the houses and neighbors we pass. Some are playing on their front lawn. Some watering their garden or relaxing in the sun. It is a lovely neighborhood.

"Max doesn't like Parker." His name tastes like acid in my mouth.

"No," She sighs and I glance at her she looks tired. Drained she sees my look and shakes her head "I am fine."

"You didn't get much fun for your birthday."

"I like spending time with my family."

"That is not what I meant and you know it." She is silent and I grin. She agrees with me. Today as been taxing. She has had to keep her guard up the whole day. I am exhausted from it and I barely did anything.

"Want to go bowling later or to the arcade? My treat, since I didn't get a present."

"Why would you do that?" I eye her incredulously and she looks on as if genuinely baffled as to why I would offer something.

"Because it will be fun?" I grin bumping shoulders. She is shorter than me "and I get a chance to beat you at something ."

"Fine." She scoffs "but you won't win."