28

"So school went well then?" Mom asks that evening., we are all seated around the dinner table, my fathers favourite shepherds pie dished out on our plates.  He will be leaving tomorrow for a business trip, he couldn't delay it any longer. 

I am smiling thinking about earlier with Sienna, after an incredible make out session we hang around talking for a while, until her mother came home and she drove me home. I can feel the butterflies irrupt in my belly at the thought of her goodnight smile. "School?"

"Yes, the institution where you learn things and you spend most of the day  and have for most of your life." Dad says with a little sarcasm that has Lizzy and Jenny giggling and mom sending him a reproving look. 

The thought of school dulls my mood. "Oh it was fine, Erin is mad at me and everyone is staring and making comments."

"Well, it is the biggest news this town has had in many months." Mom bites down. "But you were okay, your body managed?"

I nod and she smiles, I can see the relief in my parents face. They have had a difficult time with me the last three weeks. Trying to convince me that I am okay, that I am strong and that I am safe. They even started the first Therapy session with me. 

"Your basketball coach knows that you are able to start practice when your ribs stop hurting and have fully healed."  I nod looking down at my plate, the dreams coming back to me in flashes.

"Do you think the Duke coaches will -"I pause choking down the doubt. Will they still want me to play for them? I have missed games and training and I am not going to be on my top game for a while. 

"They have your video's of your games and I sent them a letter with your situation." 

I eye my dad in thanks, even when I was saying I never wanted to go to school again, he knew I would heal more and he took care of my future for me. 

"Thanks dad." He nods 

"When dad gets back can we go to the fair?" Lizzy asks and my parents nod, she smiles in happiness. We go to the fair every year, sometimes dad makes it and sometimes not, so if he comes this year  it will be special. 

Later I collapse in my bed, having hung out a bit with Jenny to discuss outfit choice for the next few days. There is a message on my phone from Sienna and I can't help smile. 

Sleep tight xx non friend