3

I am late to give Jenny her lunch money, the English teacher held us back to talk about the senior project we will all be working on this year and everyone had far to many questions. I am starving and I can't believe everyone else in that class wasn't. They were stupid questions. Jenny is still at my lockers, her friends there as well, I can see her foot tapping and I rush forward, making it to her and shoving the money under her nose. 

"Sorry I am late."

"It's okay." She grins taking the money "Did you run here?"

"Yeah, I was in the English block." Which is the other side of the school and had to race here. We might have to work out a better arrangement because somehow I think that English teacher likes the sound of her own voice. I wave them off to lunch and depositing my books into my locker follow suit. Lunch is always a carefully curated exercise of patience, with the lines and rude lunch ladies. The hierarchy is like any other school and if the elite's come you move. I end up in the line with Erin behind the football team who are loud and explicate in their language and gestures. I roll my eyes, clutching my tray to my chest. 

"In coming." Erin mutters, shifting to her left and sure enough we are moved back three places in the line. All for the head of everything, Sienna Rose and her groupies. She flickers her blonde hair over her shoulder and looks forward. Everyone around her seems to be chatting to her but not with her. I haven't seen her utter more than a few words to her groupies. She represents the untouchable at our school. 

"What will happen in college when no one moves for her?" I ask annoyed that we have to wait extra long now for our food, I am getting hangry. Erin eyes me, her brown orbs begging me to not make a scene but I was not born that way. 

"Hey! Sienna!" I shout, louder than I intended but now that the whole cafeteria is looking at me I have to follow through "You cut in the line." I say when she spins slowly, her icy eyes meeting mine her face impassive and calculating as she scans my outfit before landing on my face. Erin lets out a small groan from besides me as Sienna tilts her head. Probably wondering why someone has lowly as me deigns to address her. 

"Pardon me?" Her voice is crystal clear even though it is barely above a whisper and it dares me to repeat what I said. 

"You. cut. in. would you like it in another language or is English fine ?" 

Her eyes narrow as she walks closer "Why are you even talking to me?"

I scoff, is she serious, some part of me thought that maybe she was merely given queen bee status for her looks and her position on the cheer, dance and home coming committee. But it appears she truly believes she is better than everyone else in this school.  "Because you cut in the line and I want my food." I bite out, ignoring Erin's grip on my arm and glaring at her. " You don't get special treatment."

"Yes she does!" One of her outspoken patrons squeaks up "She is Sienna Rose."

Sienna waves her hand at her minion. "David was saving me a space." She turns catching the attention of the football captain "Weren't you ?" 

He nods, stunned at being brought into this conversation, she never addresses anyone, even the other elites. She eyes me once more "Well glad we cleared that up." She turns and I frown not knowing what to say, Erin's fingers dig into my arm further and she shakes her head. Yup, I definitely lost that one.

"Do you have death wish?" Erin Hisses once we eventually get our food and head to the table where Danna and Jake are waiting. They both watch our approach  with wide eyes.

"Damn, Tori, you came back fighting fit this year." Danna teases as we take a seat. I cans till feel everyone's eyes on me. I try to brush it off but honestly I want to raise my middle finger at all of them. 

"Please don't ever do that again!" Erin hisses, head bent so her hair falls over her eyes I frown at her before turning to the table.

"She can't just get away with cutting in like she is the only one that matters."

"Tori," Jake eyes me then Erin with her flushed features "Maybe leave the take downs for when you are not in the presence of our shy kitten." Erin glares at him before resuming her usual position. She is shy, it took years for her to fully open up in our group. She hates confrontation and actively avoids it. She is an only child which explains a lot when you get to know her a little better. 

"Fine." I mutter but I know that now that I have started standing up I won't be able to stop. Sienna Rose needs to learn that she can't just walk over everyone in her sight with a mere icy gaze. People matter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alright ladies, we are running drills today but first lets do some conditioning." There are groans but it seems like they are only so that coach knows how we all hate conditioning, what's new. Coach Fery joined our team last year and honestly she has been a dream, we won our first season under her guidance and she took us all out for pizza's at our towns best Italian joint, Mama Regio's. 

My abs and legs burn by the end of the session as we all head for the gym, it is crowded from all the other sports teams and I struggle to find a free spot to toss some deodrant on and a hoddie.

"You been practicing this summer?" Eloise is brilliant in all her game except her confidence which means that on game days she never plays like she can but she is a great asset on the team. She never complains and her cheery attitude leaves everyone else feeling good about themselves. 

"A lot." I grin at her changing my basketball shoes to Nikes, I do not want to ruin them by wearing them casually. "I heard this year scouts will come and watch our games, I want to get into Duke's or Notre Dame for Basketball."

"I can see that happening for you." She smiles at me as we head out of the locker room, both opting to shower at home. Jenny is already waiting by the car for me, she was at soccer practice. We split at the entrance of the school. "See you tomorrow Tori!" She calls happily waving and I grin after her turning to head to my own car. Only I am stopped by someone clearing their throat. I turn spotting Sienna standing off to the side. Now that she is not wearing heels but sneakers and her gym outfit she is shorter than me, not much shorter than me but enough that she has to look up.

"So Tori is it?"

I narrow my eyes because she makes it sound like we haven't been in the same classes since Kindergarten. "What do you want Sienna?"

"Just to make something clear." She stalks forward and we are chest to chest " This is my school, don't get your little act of bravado today confused. You do not want to get on my bad side."

"Really?" I taunt leaning forward a little so our eyes are level, the fire in my chest at the challenge is invigorating "Because somehow I couldn't find myself caring." 

Her eyes narrow infinitely "Your little friend does, wouldn't want her to be the object of-"

"-Leave Erin out of this." I growl suddenly my hackles are up, I am very defense of the people I care about "If you do anything to her I will ensure that the next year is your personal nightmare."

"Are you threatening me Victoria Havenesh?" So she does know my name. 

"A promise Sienna Rose, you are not as special as everyone thinks you are, as you think you are."

"Stay out of my face." She hisses pocking my shoulder with her long nail and I hate her a little more for it. 

"Gladly." I bite back before turning and getting away from her narcistic tendencies. She really is a peice of work.

"Were you just talking to Sienna Rose?Again?" Jenny asks incredulously as I clamber into the car after tossing my bags in the back. Why does everyone feel the need to add her second name into the mix, like we have more than one Sienna. We don't.

"Lets just go home." I mutter ignoring her incredulous look and wanting nothing more than a hot shower and some mindless tv shows to wash away the tension from the first day.