5

The first game of the season and the gym is packed, mostly with family and friends of the team, significant others and such. Except today there seems to be more people than usual. I wonder if it is because our game came before the first football game and that is why everyone appeared, wanting to start the school year off with a good old fashioned sports game. We are American after all. Our deep blue and gold school colours are prominent as I watch the sea of faces. I smile when I spot my family. My dad came home last night, bringing with him a lot of weird and wonderful Chinese candy and is now siting content next to my mom who leans slightly against him. Lizzy and Jenny on either side of them, both sporting home made posters with our surname and my number, they shake them when they catch my eye and I wave, grinning as I turn back to the team.  

"Alright ladies, no pressure but apparently some scouts are out early this season, so play hard and play well." Coach always gives a team talk straight to the point and we all love her for it Our last coach used to ramble on and on. It was a nightmare to try and concentrate the whole time. We take the court and the game begins. The other team are yellow and green and fast. Thanks to all the summer practice we re not lagging too far behind and manage to make it to a tie by the end of the fist two quarters. Half time comes and I see a few team members trying hard to catch their breath. After all not all of them are as dedicated to the game as I am. 

"There are a lot of supporters today." Eloise remarks scanning the stand before her hands find her hips and she takes a deep breath. I can tell she is nervous by the fact, her eyes are searching. 

"Ignore them." I say chugging some water and taking a seat on the bench, even I am a little winded and need to take a few deep breaths to try slow my heart rate. "You are playing well." She has already made two perfect shots. 

"Thanks," She sits next to me "You are on fire, as always."

I chuckle, shaking my head and running a hand through my pony tail. I am sweaty and I am sure I look flushed. Thanks to my pale skin and Irish genes I am easily affected by the slightest exercise. "Lets bring this home." I tell  her as we stand at the end of halftime. The stands go wild when we do indeed take the win. The first of our season and what a way to start the year. I feel elated as the team rushes forward hugging in elation as we dance around. The stands are stills creaming our team name and the mascot is going crazy on the side. I grin Henry Alcott is a goofball but very loveable. 

"Great game!" My dad says pulling me into a hug later as we stand in the parking lot. 

"You going out with your friends?" Mom asks eyeing Erin and the boys standing off to the side, waiting.

"Can I? There is a celebratory party at one of the girls houses."

"Yes, be back by 11." I nod and grinning I hug them, feeling on top of the world as I skip towards my friends and we pile into my car. 

"Lets get this night started!" I am met with whoops of joy and grinning I pull us into drive. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have escaped for some air, halfway through the party. I have been winning the foosball games as well as the air hockey games and it was getting intense so I took a step outside, finding myself under a golden tree, its leaves shimmering under the street light. The sounds are muffled here and I am off the beaten path so I am hidden by the giant tree.  I watch people come and go, loitering outside the house. I see a car pull up and I recognize it, my spine straightens. Wondering why he is making an appearance at a highschool party. 

Parker Daniels was a Senior last year and he was mean. He ruled with what I can only describe as an iron fist. He was angry and easily set off. Honestly everyone was glad to see the back of him so I wonder why he is here now? I heard he got the scholarship to UCLA he was after.  I hold my breath when the first person out the car is not Parker but Sienna. I can tell she is unhappy from her tense shoulders and her drawn eyes. Her emotions are usually unreadable but right now she looks more upset than I have ever seen, than I ever thought was possible for someone like her. 

"Don't walk away from me." Parker is out the car and rushes after her retreating figure. He moves and his hand grips her wrist, yanking her around. I wince because it looks sore. She barely flinches and fixes him with a impassive look.

"Leave me alone Parker." Her voice is gentle but I can hear the quiver, the icy toned shake. A crack in the iceberg.

"You can't just walk away from this." He insists and I swear his hand tightens around her wrist. "We are meant to be together."

"I told you, I am done with you." I think he might get angry shout a few things and leave but instead he yanks her closer and I see the flash of pain in her eyes.

"Bitch, we are not done until I say so." His whisper is harsh and clear in the night. He thinks they are alone, no one is around but I am here, my heart beating in its chest as I watch debating what to do as I feel the adrenaline rushing around my system like nothing before. I always wanted to stand up for the underdog and now it appears that Sienna Rose is the underdog.  Do I want to intervene. "I own you, you know that so stop acting all high and mighty." I grit my teeth as he whispers a threat into her face, I see her jaw clench as she looks down. Her eyes flashing, I am about to step out and intervene, I have geared myself up for a fight but her words stop me. Even if I do not like her, if she wants to fight then as a fellow female I am behind her. 

"Okay." He seems satisfied and lets go of her wrist, dragging her forward in a rough kiss. I see his eyes close while hers remain open. 

"I will pick you up in two hours." He says it like it is non negotiable and from what I have seen it isn't. He steps away looking her over "You know I know what is best for you." she nods to appease him and I want to scream in frustration. He nods turning but not before landing a loud and seeming loud smack on her ass. She doesn't even flinch as if she expected this. As he drives away my gaze is fixed on her. I watch as she brings her hand up wiping away at her eyes, rubbing her wrist which looks an angry red in the light and squaring her shoulders she turns, marching straight for the party as if nothing happened. 

My heart is still beating two times its usual rhythm when Erin finds me half an hour later and drags me back into the party. She doesn't seem to notice I am out of it and when the clock strikes 10 I excuse myself, tired from everything running over in my head. Sienna as a victim doesn't make sense. She is so strong at school, so in command. I do not understand why she is with Parker. What does he have on her? He must have something on her. 

Should I get involved? I lie in bed later, staring at the little dotted stars on my ceiling, they have been there since I was five and somehow I can't let go of the comfort they give me. There is no Ethel breathing next to me so all I have is the stars. But unlike Ethel they are not full of helpful advice, only the fading glow as I stare at them, willing myself to sleep.