Building Towards Backlash

WWE was a chaotic place after Wrestlemania. It was confirmed, However, that we'd be getting 9 matches at Wrestlemania Backlash (listed here in no particular order).

-Undisputed Tag title unification match: reDRagon (c) vs Moxley & Rollins (c)

On Smackdown, Kyle & Bobby declared they wanted the Tag titles to be One belt, with the winning tag team being declared the Undisputed champions. Moxley accepted, but Seth didn't want to. He was more than content holding gold again, and wasn't really wanting to lose it. However, New Raw GM Kurt Angle made the match official, and When Rollins protested, Commissioner Steve Austin threatened to fine and suspended him over it. Seth begrudgingly agreed to take part in the match.

-Universal title match: Nick Burns (c) vs Finn Balór

Balór and Burns' match had been made official after Burns' victory at Wrestlemania. Finn antagonized Burns by calling out his relationship with Gigi Dolin, Chastising his lack of professionalism in winning his title (Burns won it while masked) as well as pointing out all of Burns' insecurities. Damian Priest tried sneak attacking Burns to help out Finn, but Edge made the save. Smackdown GM Bryan Danielson announced that Burns and Balór will have a Steel Cage Match for the Title.

-Raw Women's championship match: Liv Morgan vs Crystal Zamora (c)

Crystal Zamora's introduction of Caeley Gedling as a fellow "Fallen Angel" caused shockwaves in the Women's Division.

Crystal & Caeley were then confronted by "LayCool", but it didn't go too well for the divas, as Caeley and Crystal Brutally beat them down. Liv Morgan confronted them backstage, and Liv took issue with Crystal targeting the WWE Divas. Crystal said, "If you have a problem with it..." She steps closer to Morgan. "I'd like to see you try stopping me." Liv said she would relish the challenge, and the match was made official.

-No DQ match: Edge vs Damian Priest

Priest cost Edge at Wrestlemania, So Edge wanted a No Disqualification match after returning to Raw. Austin granted Edge this request.

-Intercontinental Championship Triple Threat match: Ethan Bourne (c) (w/ AJ Styles) vs Sami Zayn vs Shinsuke Nakamura (w/ Rick Boogs)

Nakamura and Sami Zayn both pinned Jinder Mahal at the same time to earn an IC title shot that became a Triple threat match.

-ANARCHY (Rosario/A. Zamora) vs The Usos

The Usos were attacked backstage by Rosario and Zamora. The GMs confirmed a Cross-Brand match between the self-proclaimed ANARCHY and the Usos.

-TBS title qualifier match: Caeley Gedling vs Lash Legend [Winner advances to the Elimimation match later in the night]

Lash ran her mouth, saying she could easily take the new Big girl on the block. Caeley accepted the challenge with a smirk.

-8 Woman TBS title Elimination Match:

Over the course of the 6 weeks between Mania and Backlash, a Handful of Qualifying matches took place:

1. Tay Conti def Amari Miller
2. Anna Jay def Kayden Carter
3. Lacey Evans def Natalya
4. Zelina Vega def Carmella
5. Ruby Soho def Naomi
6. Cora Jade def Kiera Hogan
7. Bianca Belair def Jade Cargill

-WWE championship match: Rico Rhodes vs Rowan Gedling (c)

Rico Rhodes, Hangman Adam Page, Big E, and Bobby Lashley (w/ Chris Jericho) faced off in a Fatal Fourway to be named Number One Contender to Gedling's WWE Championship. Rhodes utilized a Jericho distraction and hit a Halo On Fire Brainbuster to knock Lashley down and out. Rico then hit the Damage Incorporated on Page to pick up the victory. Rico and Rowan faced off, WWE Championship match in their future.

(It's now time to write the go-home Raw edition promo!)

Rico stood in the ring. "So... This Sunday... Wrestlemania Backlash. You're all probably wondering what's gonna happen this Sunday at Backlash. Easy. I step between the ropes with one of my best buddies, and... well, I honestly didn't prepare much for coming out here tonight. It's as easy as He's my friend, but it's a Match for the WWE Championship."

"You all don't know the predicament I'm in here. Rowan and I? I can give you one guarentee: One hell of a match will be had at Wrestlemania Backlash. I can say the better man will win, but there's been time and time again where you see a WWE title come between two superstars. I don't want the title to come between Rowan and I... but Y'know, All good things and title Reigns have to end sometime or another. I think that end comes at Backlash, Rowan. You're like the younger brother I never had. But when that bell rings, I'm pulling no punches. I'll do anything within my power to win that match and keep you down for the three count. And after it's over, win or lose, When the bell rings, You're gonna still be that Little Brother to me. The only thing that may change is who holds the belt at the end of the night, Rowan. And that's the bottom line, cuz-"

Rowan's music hits, and The WWE champion strolled to the ring.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Rico. Buddy. This title ain't going nowhere. Try all you want, I'll be walking out with this title around my waist no...matter...what. If you wanna fight for it, I dare you to try it. Either damn way, we're gonna give these people what they want at Backlash. Say your prayers, my friend, because by the time our match is up...no-one will be left to save you. Not Aliyah, not Luke... not even lil' ol' Livvy. When the trial by Hellfire commences, the hammer will fall, deeming you...Guilty. As. CHARGED!"

Rico stirred, Then grinned, and began a response.

"Woah there, Cowboy. You act as if it's all said and done! You haven't fought me in, what, 4 years? Where was it again... oh. Right. Melbourne, 2018. Last Man Standing. Fought to a No Contest, We beat the hell outta each other. You knew what I was capable of, So you've been dodging me ever since you got Goldie there. And you want to bring up people I care about, eh? How about Macey witnesses your head getting smashed in? And You're gonna subject poor little Summer feel seeing Mama's new man bloody and Bruised? I may be Arrogant, but I don't need Gionna, Luke, Aliyah, none of them to save me from you. I may need em at ringside to hold me back from beating you senseless. Like I said, when the bell rings... all feelings go out the window. See you Sunday."

Rowan's eyes narrowed at the mention of Lacey and Summer. After a moment of silence, he let out a low, dangerous laugh. He only spoke five words.

"You're on. See you Sunday."

The champ dropped the mic, Fire in thr eyes of both men as they stared down to end the Go-Home episode of Raw.

There would be an absolute War on Sunday between them.